Main > The Armoury

Is this a good selection/deal

<< < (6/8) > >>

Ian:
BKS is very reputable from my understanding.  They mostly deal in custom work and they do all the weapons for the US Battle of the Nations team.

Timothy:
Hi All,

Just saw a reference to BKS on the  Order Facebook page. Good or not? Their prices seem very completive.

Thanks

Sir Edward:

Their swords tend to be on the heavy side, and some of their designs are more fantasy, with many others looking more period appropriate. They're not always the most historic, but they do build their swords to be tough. As usual, it comes down to what you're looking for.

For my taste, the blades aren't historic enough. That is, they lack the right kind of distal taper (historically they should get thinner toward the tip), and the fullers aren't adequate to removing a lot of the weight. Both of those explain a lot of the heavy feel. But they certainly look good and are durable.

Granted it's been quite a few years since I last handled one, since they left MDRF probably 8-10 years ago. They used to be ground-down from bar-stock, many with axe-wedge edges.

My first "functional" sword I ever bought came from them, back when they were much simpler and more clunky. I bought it when I was a teen, probably at the end of the '80s or around 1990. That one definitely was just axe-wedges ground into bar-stock. They got a lot better at sword-making after that.

Timothy:
Sir Edward,

Thanks. They are off the list as I am looking for historic and tough.

Tim

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-08-30, 16:07:46 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-08-30, 14:09:31 ---Careful with BKS. If it's the same Baltimore Knife & Sword from the Maryland Renn Fest, and that does/did have a storefront at the Tysons Corner mall, I bought the "Braveheart" sword from them about 15 years ago. I paid $349. A couple weeks later I saw it in the MRL catalog for $199. Quite the buyer's remorse, enough so that I still whine about it 15 years later. :)

--- End quote ---

I think you're mixing them up with Chesapeake Knife & Tool. BKS was the one at MDRF, but never had storefronts in the malls. The latter was CK&T. :)

--- End quote ---

Ah, bingo, Chesapeake Knife & Tool it was. Baltimore, Chesapeake .. I'm geographically challenged.

No personal experience with BKS, then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version