Main > The Armoury

Teutonic great helm...now with wings?

<< < (16/24) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-11-14, 17:06:30 ---Doesn't the later period Teutonic cross include the imperial arms of the HRE and add gold?  That's why I thought the gold could still fit with a Teutonic surcoat.

--- End quote ---

If we're thinking about the same one, it's a white field, black cross, and gold arms over top of the black cross. Still primarily white w/black, to me. If I were copying that style for the feathers, I'd do the white/black alternating, and add gold edging between the black/white separations. Or maybe a gold edging along the outer "line" of the horn where the feathers connect. Keeping it white/black primary, with gold as an accent.

Paging Sir Nathan! :)

Ian:

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-11-15, 15:36:04 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-11-14, 17:06:30 ---Doesn't the later period Teutonic cross include the imperial arms of the HRE and add gold?  That's why I thought the gold could still fit with a Teutonic surcoat.

--- End quote ---

If we're thinking about the same one, it's a white field, black cross, and gold arms over top of the black cross. Still primarily white w/black, to me. If I were copying that style for the feathers, I'd do the white/black alternating, and add gold edging between the black/white separations. Or maybe a gold edging along the outer "line" of the horn where the feathers connect. Keeping it white/black primary, with gold as an accent.

Paging Sir Nathan! :)

--- End quote ---

Darn it man! I already had a difficult time deciding on a design and now you're giving me more ideas! ;) I do like the idea of gold accents, though.

I know Tannhauser's crest had black/gold coloring. What I'm not sure about is whether it was heraldic, or associated with the Teutonic Order.
I've seen modern art depicting Teutonics with gold in their crests as well, so I was under the same impression as Sir Ian; it had to do with the cross. Of course, that's modern art so grain-of-salt and all that.

But anyway, as for my crest, it seems that the choice for design is pretty much unanimous. I thank you gentlemen for you feedback. :) What I'll probably do is paint it black/white first to see how that looks since it already has a white base. Plus, I live in the Pittsburgh area....with black and gold I might be mistaken for a "Steelers Knight". ;)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-11-15, 18:14:09 ---
I know Tannhauser's crest had black/gold coloring. What I'm not sure about is whether it was heraldic, or associated with the Teutonic Order.
I've seen modern art depicting Teutonics with gold in their crests as well, so I was under the same impression as Sir Ian; it had to do with the cross. Of course, that's modern art so grain-of-salt and all that.

--- End quote ---

That's a good question. Sir Nathan might have some input when he sees this. I think I remember reading that the Teutonic order wasn't as strict as say, the Templars, in that they allowed some personal heraldry to be used. This could be Tannhauser's own arms, and what makes me think this may be the case is that the shield is on his page with that exact color division, and I don't think it's been depicted anywhere else with regards to the Teutonic knights.

However, the existence of the gold/black cross certainly opens up many possibilities as well.

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-11-15, 18:29:53 ---
This could be Tannhauser's own arms, and what makes me think this may be the case is that the shield is on his page with that exact color division, and I don't think it's been depicted anywhere else with regards to the Teutonic knights.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's the shield that throws me off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version