Main > The Armoury

Teutonic great helm...now with wings?

<< < (14/24) > >>

Don Jorge:
You made it? I didn't know you were a smith! Do you take commissions because that looks a lot like what I want...even with the taller top...I am 6'5 and 375 lbs so it might be slimming to have a longer head :)

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-11-11, 22:09:30 ---wow.

now how does it feel on the head? heavy? does it make your head roll to one side or the other? etc?

--- End quote ---

Surprisingly, no. It's pine so it really doesn't add that much weight. I think as long as the cap plate of the helm isn't balancing directly on the top of your head (which it shouldn't be if it has a liner and fits properly) it's pretty stable. I tried it on with just my arming cap and a mail coif before I put the liner in and it snugged up enough that it didn't wobble or anything.

I definitely wouldn't recommend wearing it indoors, though. :P Since you can't see them, you can't judge how far they are from, say, door frames or expensive, fragile valuables. Strong winds may also cause some problems, but for "average" use, it seems all right.

--- Quote from: Belemrys on 2013-11-11, 22:47:38 ---You made it? I didn't know you were a smith! Do you take commissions because that looks a lot like what I want...even with the taller top...I am 6'5 and 375 lbs so it might be slimming to have a longer head :)

--- End quote ---

Well, I wouldn't call myself a smith yet. I've really only just started. ;) But yes, if you're interested send me a PM, let me know what you had in mind, and we can discuss it. It would probably be best to have whatever you plan on wearing underneath it so I could custom size it to your specifications, but if you have any questions or whatever, let me know.

Sir Douglas:
My indecision has forced me against a brick wall, as it so often does. I really have no idea what colors/design I want to make this crest. So, I did a little bit of [very lazy] photo-shopping and came up with the attached image. Figured I'd do a bit of crowd-sourcing before settling on a design...assuming you guys don't mind me using you as my personal guinea pigs. :P

Ian:
From a purely aesthetic point of view, I'm drawn to the middle designs with the alternative black/gold or black/white.  I think I favor the black/gold (design E) because it's just a little more striking.  I'm not basing this on any historical knowledge, but just what catches my eye, so take that for what it's worth.

With the gold accented Teutonic cross on a surcoat, that would look very intimidating :)

Sir Edward:

Photoshop is a wonderful tool for this sort of thing. :)

I too am really drawn to the middle designs, though I think "A" looks really good too. What's great is that they all have fantastic contrast against the black horns.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version