Main > The Armoury

under armor and pockets

(1/4) > >>

Sir Nate:
I have a leather pouch i use for phone and wallet, and i wear long john under my leg armor and a turtle neck under my mail. is there any kinds of under armor until i get a gambeson or mail chauses that you would recommend using. and how come no one makes surcoats with pockets(joke).

Sir James A:
I have a leather pouch too. And usually, a squire. ;)

You can easily sew a pocket inside gambeson. I've laced my car keys directly to my arming coat under my armor before. Worked well, and the sweat didn't ruin them. Plan is to sew an interior pocket on it, though.

Sir William:
I was going to ask why you wore longjohns and a turtleneck but I think you wear it in place of a gambeson and maybe padded chausses.  If your hauberk is heavy, nothing beats a nice padded gambeson; in fact, I'm getting ready to let one go that I don't need because I had one custom-made for me.  If you've a 42" chest and 34" waist (or a couple inches in either direction) it'll suit you.  PM me if you're interested.

As for the little things, I too have a leather pouch just big enough for my ID, car keys, phone and a small billfold; if my wife's with me then some of that gets transferred to her purse.  ;)

Sir Matthew:
Leather pouches are very period for carrying ones belongings. I wear one in my reenacting. Of course, it's under the armor when I armor up, but I can still get to it pretty easilly. I've started hooking my leather costrel to my sword belt by means of a forged belt hook, since I wear that over my armor. I would imagine pikemen did much the same back in the day. Padding of some sort is a must under your armor. I wear a leather buff coat under mine, but for you earlier period types a gambeson or arming coat would be the equivalent. Padded Chausses or hose should be worn under any leg protection.

Thorsteinn:
Just remeber to take out the key's & wallet before fighting or you wwill find where you left them... in unfortunate ways. lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version