Main > The Armoury

Heraldry question.

(1/4) > >>

Sir Vander Linde:
well like the title says good Sirs I have a question.
My family has a "bond" crest, I think that is the best way of describing it, anyway it is a heraldic shield that is fairly simple, however no one in the family can tell me what the thing is in the center, and to be quite frank I have never seen it anywhere else. So I took it apon my self to try an find out what it is called, I failed.  What I did find however was another example of this heraldic device on Grand master Ludolf Konig von Wattzau's heraldry. but again no explanation of what exactly it is.

Grand master Ludolf Konig von Wattzau"s heraldry
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Wg_koenig.gif
^excuse the wiki link all other sites had image block

it is the red thingy, I recognize the leaf shape as Linden but the orientation confuses me as I don't know what it is called, my families bond-crest is vert field with (thingy) argent proper. so you can see the confusion, (one of the reasons I use variants I know the heraldry of when reenacting)

so any help is much appreciated.  ;D
(I'll look for a digital copy of mine)

Sir Nate:
perhaps the ring thingy represents a bond of 3 items. and usually when there are 2 pics next to each other it means that two seperate countries had a child together and that would be the childs 
coat of arms. so maybe it would be wise to find out which country is which. the symbol with the bird seems germanic.

Sir Douglas:
Couldn't tell you what it means, but it might be an annulet.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2013-08-20, 18:52:14 ---Couldn't tell you what it means, but it might be an annulet.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking. It may not have a name directly, but rather could be an annulet with three leaves attached to it. Maybe something like "an annulet sprouting three leaves" or something like that?

Sir James A:
Vert is green, Argent is white. Proper means "as it is normally colored". Argent proper, would mean naturally white? I think? I'm not that great with heraldry, but sounds like green background, white symbol.

The 4 corners like that is called "quartering".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version