Main > The Armoury

My look

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Nate on 2013-08-20, 00:13:12 ---Although my armor will not change much, I don't know if I should keep the templar look forever. It seems many members make there own surcoats and shields. a shield is one thing, but how do you go about making your surcoats. what do they represent? were can I go to get a really nice templar surcoat.
My templar surcoat is dirty, the cross is ruined, and it is a horrible fit. If anyone can tell me how they go about with the inspirations of there designs and how they make them I would again as always, be grateful.

--- End quote ---

Your surcoat should reflect your family name (i.e. heritage/heraldry) or yourself personally in some fashion. Every design is different but made to fit a format that is symbollic as well as authentic by a historical standpoint. Once you know what you want, we can help you in a design idea. All of us are knowledgeable here & you should make use of the resources to find what makes your 'heraldry' unique to you. Colors, designs, symbols, etc. all follow a pattern and have meaning that defines them in 'heraldry'.

Sir Edward:
Part of the good news with surcoats is that they don't have to match your shield/heraldry. They can, but don't have to. You can work all, or just some elements into it, rearrange the charges, or whatever. It's all cool, from a historical standpoint.

But something you might want to consider is whether you want to create your own heraldry, and whether or not you want to design a surcoat to that. Another idea is to go with the templar motif, and then work the cross into heraldry later. Or not, it's all up to you. :)

The charges can be done in a variety of ways, from appliques (sewing on a cut-out piece of fabric in the right shape), to embroidery, to painting it on with fabric paints and a stencil. The one in my avatar image currently has the charges done with appliques, and a "button-hole" sort of thick stitch all the way around. I had that one custom made for me by Jess Finley at Fuhlen Designs. A better view of it (photos are clicky or bigger view):

My previous surcoats were all made by my own hand. The large "ankh" charge on this one is an applique too, but with a simple line-stitch (with the fabric folded in at the edge) all the way around:

I didn't use an actual pattern for mine, but rather eyeballed it. The important things to remember when making a surcoat, IMHO:

1. It should come in at the shoulders, rather than just be a rectangle with arm-holes, otherwise the shoulders stick out way too far.

2. It needs to flare out at the bottom. That is, the "skirt" section needs to widen toward the bottom, like an actual skirt. If it doesn't do this, and is just a rectangle, it will look ridiculously too tight around the legs. The ones I made for myself have a subtle widening here, but the one made by Jess is a huge skirt.

Sir Nate:
Alright thanks guys, this really will help me. And I have decided on my heraldy, something from my early childhood. ill make it over the next few months, with help from my parents.

Sir Nate:
there is also now a really nice crusader surcoat on medievalcollectibles.com for $72 and its original price was $82. Ill get that for now.

Sir James A:
The wonderful thing about surcoats is you don't have to have just one. Keep the templar one. Get a heraldic one done. Add a teutonic one. Or a hospitaler. Or an alternate heraldic one. Or all of the above. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version