Main > The Armoury

My look

(1/4) > >>

Sir Nate:
Although my armor will not change much, I don't know if I should keep the templar look forever. It seems many members make there own surcoats and shields. a shield is one thing, but how do you go about making your surcoats. what do they represent? were can I go to get a really nice templar surcoat.
My templar surcoat is dirty, the cross is ruined, and it is a horrible fit. If anyone can tell me how they go about with the inspirations of there designs and how they make them I would again as always, be grateful.

Sir Ulrich:
Mine was inspired by a family symbol in my house, I used the sun because of that. Plus I like the look of sun faces, they're rather interesting looking. The cross is similar to the "red baron's" plane which was not intentional but the white border that Ed helped modify made it look as such, it's supposed to symbolize he's a crusader but it has this rather Teutonic look like you'd see on crusader knights. Red and black are my heraldic colors which I think are badass looking together. I made the sun gold/yellow and the border around the cross silver/white to correspond with the rules of heraldry. I quartered it to look better even though this was rare in the 13th century.

Sir Douglas:
I modified my surcoat from a pattern of a costume surcoat I picked up at Jo-Ann Fabrics. The neck opening from the original pattern was way too small so I had to enlarge it, but otherwise it's a nice fit. Depending on the style, they can be fairly easy to make if you know a little bit about sewing.

As far as the design of it, I chose an eagle because they were very common in German heraldry (much like the lion is often found in English heraldry), and I'm part German from my father's side. Other than that, I just chose colors that struck my fancy. Eventually, I may make another in the style of either the Hospitallers or the Teutonic knights.

If you're looking to get into designing your own coat of arms, there is virtually an unlimited amount of combinations you can make once you get the basic rules down.

Sir Nate:
yes but how do you make the symbols. And what would you recommend in sowing the fabrics. How do you  make the desighn, cut them out?

Ian:
Here's a pattern developed by Tasha Kelly.  She does some of the finest work in the reproduction of historic garments this side of the Middle Ages.  Here's her take on the early 14th century surcoat with good instructions.  Just a disclaimer about my advice.  My primary interest is in accurate Living History portrayals.  So I'm always going to try and point you toward the most historically accurate option or impression for a given piece of kit, unless that's not something you're interested in.

http://cottesimple.com/tutorials/early-14thc-surcotte/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version