Main > The Armoury

Single hand sword fitting in a big paw?

(1/3) > >>

B. Patricius:
Greetings all?

I was wondering since I know quite a few of you have a nice collection already, how the swords fit in your hands?

Basically, I'm looking at Type Xa, XI, and XII Oakeshott sword types for my Templar persona.  I LOVE these swords, but I have to ask before I commit to anything very accurate like a custom or something like an Albion or Arms & Armour how the grips fit?

here's some links and pictures to show what I'm talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakeshott_typology
http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oakeshott-typology.htm

these are part of Joe Metz's collection. 

Basically all of them have about a 3.75" grip, not including the pommel.  I just measured my paw on a ruler and came up just over 4" comfortably.  So, I'm wondering if it'd feel alright?  I noticed the rapier I enjoy has about a 4.25" grip, but I also use the forward grip on it as well with the forefinger in the loop, not like how I'd grip a High Medieval sword. 

I'm wondering what the options are for someone with a large paw?  :o

Sir Edward:

I have the Albion Knight, and my hand fits it quite comfortably. My hand-width across the knuckles is about 3.5" (I can get away with a men's medium glove, but it's tight, and a large fits better).

For you, I think the heel of your palm would ride the pommel a little, but not enough to cause a problem I don't think, unless you're also wearing bulky gauntlets with it.

B. Patricius:
Thanks for the response Sir Edward.

Yeah, I can't even fit most large gloves! ;D let alone with my mail mittens, it'll be interesting. Luckily the reenactment blades we use in Adrian aren't very accurate in proportion I guess. My knight instructor has a sword with about a 4.5" hilt.  It just looks "wrong" though you know?

According to Oakeshott waar swords were used in the early 13th, so maybe for living history demos I'll just go that route and leave the shield then? I'm really going to start researching those now. Luckily for technique, its my knight instructor's "baby" at least 14 th longsword is, so I won't be going completely blind.

Definitely going to have to wait now until my aketon, and mittens are done, that's for sure.

Yeah, I officially believe I may be part Dwarf ;D my girth makes finding close that fit without tailoring fun, and always through the BMI out the window at physicals and pft tests  :o

Corvus:
This is why I prefer two handed swords ;-)

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: Corvus on 2013-07-04, 07:08:01 ---This is why I prefer two handed swords ;-)

--- End quote ---

touche' :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version