"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Single hand sword fitting in a big paw?  (Read 9648 times)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Single hand sword fitting in a big paw?
« on: 2013-07-03, 20:53:56 »
Greetings all?

I was wondering since I know quite a few of you have a nice collection already, how the swords fit in your hands?

Basically, I'm looking at Type Xa, XI, and XII Oakeshott sword types for my Templar persona.  I LOVE these swords, but I have to ask before I commit to anything very accurate like a custom or something like an Albion or Arms & Armour how the grips fit?

here's some links and pictures to show what I'm talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakeshott_typology
http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oakeshott-typology.htm

these are part of Joe Metz's collection. 

Basically all of them have about a 3.75" grip, not including the pommel.  I just measured my paw on a ruler and came up just over 4" comfortably.  So, I'm wondering if it'd feel alright?  I noticed the rapier I enjoy has about a 4.25" grip, but I also use the forward grip on it as well with the forefinger in the loop, not like how I'd grip a High Medieval sword. 

I'm wondering what the options are for someone with a large paw?  :o
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Single hand sword fitting in a big paw?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-04, 03:20:17 »

I have the Albion Knight, and my hand fits it quite comfortably. My hand-width across the knuckles is about 3.5" (I can get away with a men's medium glove, but it's tight, and a large fits better).

For you, I think the heel of your palm would ride the pommel a little, but not enough to cause a problem I don't think, unless you're also wearing bulky gauntlets with it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-04, 04:42:16 »
Thanks for the response Sir Edward.

Yeah, I can't even fit most large gloves! ;D let alone with my mail mittens, it'll be interesting. Luckily the reenactment blades we use in Adrian aren't very accurate in proportion I guess. My knight instructor has a sword with about a 4.5" hilt.  It just looks "wrong" though you know?

According to Oakeshott waar swords were used in the early 13th, so maybe for living history demos I'll just go that route and leave the shield then? I'm really going to start researching those now. Luckily for technique, its my knight instructor's "baby" at least 14 th longsword is, so I won't be going completely blind.

Definitely going to have to wait now until my aketon, and mittens are done, that's for sure.

Yeah, I officially believe I may be part Dwarf ;D my girth makes finding close that fit without tailoring fun, and always through the BMI out the window at physicals and pft tests  :o
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-04, 07:08:01 »
This is why I prefer two handed swords ;-)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-05, 23:57:54 »
This is why I prefer two handed swords ;-)

touche' :D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-09, 17:21:31 »
Too bad you're not closer to any of us- you could try any number of Albions and Atrims on for size before making a decision.  Of all my swords, I actually prefer my Albion Arn, christened Irae (short for Deus Irae), which is a Type Xa, overall 41", 35" blade, 3.75" grip - short gripped longswords are where its at man, don't let anyone tell you different!  ;)

But I also have small hands so, that makes a difference I'm sure.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-12, 08:54:32 »
Sir William,

The Albion Arn is inspiration for my custom single hand sword I want.  I love that sword.  Short gripped longswords are truly where it's at.  8)

it's just a trick to see if I can fit them.  Hopefully, this august at the Las Vegas Ren Faire I'll be able to check out a bunch of different swords and their hilt fittings.  I hear rumor BKS will be there, if so, I'm probably going to purchase my "beater" from them.  Love their weapons for their durability. 

We'll just have to see how my paw handles different fittings I think.  I'm thinking the certain "nut shaped" pommels will help with the cramped grip space.  Luckily, it's my pinkie finger down there, I only need it for controlling the stop on my cuts :D

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-12, 13:18:34 »
Albion Knight grip is a hair over 4" long
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-16, 15:51:44 »
I'm trying to imagine what sort of cut you'd do that requires your pinky finger to do the stopping- for me at least, its usually the palm and the first two fingers that stops the forward/downward motion.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-20, 22:45:55 »
I'm trying to imagine what sort of cut you'd do that requires your pinky finger to do the stopping- for me at least, its usually the palm and the first two fingers that stops the forward/downward motion.

well, we do "chokes" A LOT in my group.  Basically we stop the rebated blades so the strike isn't full swing when it makes contact with our opponents.  Hence the pinky ;)  now, whenever I do normal cutting drills with a live edge, no, I don't use my pinky at all.  But it is something to consider for my custom crusader sword I'm having made for rebated combat.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-20, 22:54:57 »
You could try making a wood mockup, or whatever material, it doesn't matter.  Something that just has a cross guard, and something pommel shaped and adjust to those different measurements and get a feel for how it will fit in action.

With a brazil nut pommel, or a viking style lobed pommel, the pommel itself is integral to the grip.  People believe that you would use a hand-shake grip with those swords, and not a hammer grip.  That's why viking sword grips are all tiny.  Your palm would actually partially rest on the pommel itself.

With wheel shaped pommels though, it might be a tight fit for you.  You could even do a simple pvc mockup or something...

Here's a ton of info and discussion on the handshake grip, but Peter Johnsson sketches it in the first post

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2478&highlight=handshake+grip
« Last Edit: 2013-07-20, 23:07:40 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-24, 02:35:49 »
Sir Ian.  Thanks for that! Never thought of doing a mock-up.  Heck my Knight Instructor, my other Sir Ian, has a couple hanwei practicals, it'd be easy to tape up the lengths and get a good idea lol.  Thanks for that