Main > The Courtyard

In a slightly different subject ... archery

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-06-26, 14:26:36 ---Sometimes the person with less book knowledge and more practical knowledge is the key to unlocking a misunderstood part of history.  This is another reason Living History is very valuable.  Reading about something, and actually trying to make it work in real life are two very different things.  It's just a double-edged sword.  Make sure as the Living Historian that you don't make things up on your own where absolutely no evidence exists.

--- End quote ---

Well said, Sir Ian.  That brings to mind a SFI forumite by the name of Bill Tsafa- he was of the mind that practical application might supersede the established knowledgebase and basically got lambasted for it; he then issued a challenge to anyone willing to accept to prove his point.  I'm not sure if anyone ever took him up on it (I seem to recall at least one encounter but again, my memory's spotty- we're going back 6 or 7 years) but he was pretty confident in his abilities and he backed up his theories with practical application.  His was always a straightforward approach which can be off-putting to some, but I liked it.  Made sense.

Lord Dane:
Practice makes perfect. As demonstrated, the practicioner who self-improves through studying his art/skill in addition to practice, becomes a true master of his craft. Well-done!!!

B. Patricius:
I'm learning "reflexive shooting" by my Knight instructors within the Adrian Empire.  The first set of 18 arrows was just them watching me shoot and practicing their reflexive shot.  Basically we start with target sight on the bulls, as we bring up the bow, we draw the arrow and by the time the bow is where it belongs my hand is by my cheek and I release.  After that, it was moving my feet for the aiming and getting used to that stance.  After that it's all been practice, practice, practice with sight picture and concentration.  Very, very cool way to shoot. 

I'm hoping this Sunday, I'll be able to contribute to this by posting up a video and pictures of me practicing.

And yes Sir Wolf, that means I do have a camera now  8)

Hrolfr:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-06-26, 20:12:44 ---Practice makes perfect. As demonstrated, the practicioner who self-improves through studying his art/skill in addition to practice, becomes a true master of his craft. Well-done!!!

--- End quote ---

Which was why golf was outlawed, too many people skipped archery practice!  ;)

Thorsteinn:
My first SCA war was as an Archer in 1993. Good war archery is what I miss from back in the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version