Main > The Armoury

Oil & hickory question.

(1/2) > >>

Thorsteinn:
I heard that one can sub olive oil for linseed oil in the mix to use on my PHA hickory wasters. Is that true?

I ask because I have olive oil but not linseed or teak & monies are tight this week but it's summer here in Nevada and things dry out.

MacDimm:
I used olive oil on my short axe handle. Seems to work fine. A year + out from application and the wood seems in pretty good condition and doesn't stink like bad oil or anything.

B. Patricius:
Olive oil is definitely better than no oil.  Especially in a dry Nevada summer.  Just be sure you rub it in nice and good, give a couple coatings, and then believe it or not, let it sit in the sun.  It helps open the pores in the wood and soak it in a bit better.  then one final coat and polish thereafter ;) 

I do it all the time to my wooden grips on my revolvers and rifle stocks.  And yes, olive oil is definitely cheaper.

Lord Dane:
You heard it here folks. This guy likes to "rub it in nice & good" and "polish his toys" with olive oil. :o  :P

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-06-15, 18:56:03 ---You heard it here folks. This guy likes to "rub it in nice & good" and "polish his toys" with olive oil. :o  :P

--- End quote ---

+5 Internets!

Patricius: Do you thin it with Mineral Spirits like you would with Boiled Linseed Oil?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version