Main > The Armoury

Saint George Patch

(1/4) > >>

Ian:
So you may have seen on DoK or AA a post I made about the historical validity of placing 'patches' on to maille aventails in period.  We've found a couple examples in both art and on effigies to support that this was a possibility.

I like the look of it, and thought I would make my own.  So, impression is English, I went with a cross of Saint George.  I didn't intend for it to be a 'Hey look I'm English!' kind of identification patch, although it would indirectly serve that purpose.  I meant for it more as a knight emblazoning the cross of his country's patron saint on his armor as a prayer of protection.  This would be similar to how shields and armor were painted with holy symbols, or edged with the words of the Pater Noster, or some personal prayer... etc.

Anyway, I want to know which one people think looks better.  The shield bearing the Cross of Saint George, or the rectangular flag?  Both are hand sewn from linen, the cross itself is felt, and hand-stitched to the linen backing.  I will then use waxed linen thread to sew it to the maille if / when I decide to go this route.

Thoughts?

In period artwork:

On an effigy:

Sir James A:
I like the shield style. It shouldn't be needed for identification, either; a french knight would be the one with his back to the battle and running away or waving a white flag. :)

Sir Wolf:
neither send the entire thing to me so i can wear that helmet in shame. lol

i kinda like the shield shape better.

Sir William:
Well, the rectangle evokes the flag, so to speak....I like them both, actually, altho the effigy you posted has a shield shaped one.  That's very cool...I've never noticed that before.

Sir Edward:

I think both look great. It's tough to decide.

See how helpful I'm being? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version