Main > The Armoury

Want to start an armor kit

<< < (8/10) > >>

Lord Dane:
I had some work on it... the hilt I kept but replaced the blade w/ Damascus steel. It's much heavier than what it was when I bought it. I'll post the pics with new kit.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: LadyRiona on 2013-06-08, 18:38:31 ---Indeed, good point Sir Edward, and thank you.

While I do want to eventually work up to having a full plate kit, I feel like right now I should just start with something a little different.  I spoke with Sir Edward today at VARF about it.  What I was thinking was a chain maille shirt, then some plate for around my shoulders and down my main arm, then some on my left, and of course some leg protection.  Sort of like Morgause's from Merlin (though I'm honestly sort of thinking closer along the lines of Arthur's).

While I did find I liked a few of the effigies from the mid to late 14th century, I'm still looking through them.

Also, swords are an important part of the ensemble as well, so if anyone has recommendations on longswords (so I don't end up with a crappy one), that'd be great.

--- End quote ---

IceFalcon.com has a sale on mail shirts right now. It would be a good start.

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-06-10, 02:50:41 ---I had some work on it... the hilt I kept but replaced the blade w/ Damascus steel. It's much heavier than what it was when I bought it. I'll post the pics with new kit.

--- End quote ---

It's not the out of the box weight, so it's not a very good comparison. Standard weight for Del Tins is fine, yours is heavier, but if you're happy with it that's what counts.

Sir Edward:

Del Tins have a reputation for being a little heavy in feel... that is, blade-heavy. It's more a balance detail than actual weight.

LadyRiona:
Arming clothes aside, because I can make those myself, I think a hauberk will be my first purchase, when I can afford one.  This might be a silly question, but what is recommended: steel or titanium?  Does it just depend on affordability, or does it affect how it functions/lasts/etc?  And I know that aluminum is one of those "appearances only" materials.

Ian:
Titanium is a very strong and very light, however it's not only expensive but has no historical precedent whatsoever.  It might as well by made of kryptonite if historical accuracy is an interest.  If that's not a concern, Ti has a lot of the strengths and appearance of steel, but the weight of aluminum.  Maille in period would have been made from drawn iron wire, so steel is the best we can do nowadays.

I would strongly encourage tackling arming garments first.  Everything else must be sized to you in padded garments, or you will be doing a lot of re-purchasing.  This is a mistake a lot of us have made, because the desire to buy armor is a lot more exciting than the parts you can't see underneath it, but please take our advice on this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version