Main > The Armoury

Some new acquisitions

<< < (9/10) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=28317
I read it there, there was also this norwegian dude who posted stuff about coat of plates being worn under a hauberk, usually it was just a bunch of plates riveted to cloth or leather that did not overlap and the maille over it stopped your enemies from thrusting between the plates. Thats why I think they didnt just make shirts of plates riveted to cloth or leather instead of maille. The chinese I know did make brigandines of that similar type for their soldiers in the roman era, but with a thrusting weapon you could easily thrust in between the plates, sure it's easier to make but maille seems more effective as a defense.

Sir William:
Well, it is actually quite easy to thrust into maille...how far you'll get depends on the quality of the rings, the pointiness of the weapon and the supporting garments under the hauberk, if by itself.

One common misconception is that maille armor will stop this or that sort of blow- I find that it is more likely to have been a preventive measure, one that obviously helped, but wasn't by itself a guarantee...think of it more as a way to leverage the odds of survival more in your favor than going w/out armor.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Very nice Sir William. The splinted armour looks great.
G.

Lord Dane:
Early plate armor like a CoP (attached to leather) was best over or in unison with rivoted maille and a thickly-padded gambeson. Then if you added plate armored pieces such as 3/4 arms, legs/greaves, spaulders, gorget, etc., I think that made the most of a transitional armor kit for the 1300's. Asian Lamellar & Roman Lorica Segmentatas utilized the overlayed plate system very effectively in their peak periods.

Sir William:
Thank you, Sir Gerard...it looks even better when all put together, just haven't snapped any pics yet.  But I will!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version