Main > The Armoury

Some new acquisitions

<< < (8/10) > >>

Sir William:
Yes, it is in fact your fault, my good Brother!

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-06-15, 02:35:51 ---Yes, it is in fact your fault, my good Brother!

--- End quote ---

You can thank me later. :D

Sir Wolf:
lol

Sir Ulrich:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-06-13, 17:05:03 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-06-12, 20:44:45 ---I wanted a pair of Merc Tailor front greaves, but I would have to measure them over padded and mailled chausses. Maybe I should message Al about it because I'm sure wearing them over my chausses would make them easier to put on. I already got the knee cops and elbow cops from him through sheer luck.

--- End quote ---

I'd drop him a line...wearing your leggings as well as your chausses, take your measurements from knee to the top of your foot, around the calf and the ankles and see what he says.  He just built me two pairs of the front greaves, one blued.

--- End quote ---
I just sent him a message on facebook about it. I hope he replies because I rather like the look of those plate greaves and I DONT think they would be out of place for late 1200s early 1300s. They DID have early coat of plates by 1250 AD but most of them were worn UNDER the hauberk which leads them to be hidden, I dont think it would be out of place to have plate front greaves by 1300 AD which is the era I am currently doing.

Sir William:
You're absolutely right, Ulrich- plate front greaves, or schynbalds if you prefer, are perfectly acceptable for 13thC onwards (1200AD on).  You'll need them to your measurements, though- if you don't tell him, he'll build it according to his measurements and he's a bit taller and heavier than you are.

Do you have a reference or link for the statement

--- Quote ---They DID have early coat of plates by 1250 AD but most of them were worn UNDER the hauberk which leads them to be hidden
--- End quote ---
- I ask because I'd love to read about that.  That is not to say I disbelieve you, just that I have never heard that in the research tomes I've bothered to crack so it is of interest to say the least.  It would also seem to be counterproductive, as maille's strength is that it conforms to the body and not the other way around; having something as hard and unyielding as steel beneath it would (and this is just my humble opinion) render at least some of maille's protective properties moot.

I am sure one of my more learned brethren will correct me if I'm wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version