Main > The Armoury

New Great Helm

<< < (5/7) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Looking good!

SirNathanQ:
Cool helm!
As far as crests go, we have helms that actually do have holes in them specifically for mounting crests, so it's not that bad. I've got two tiny holes on the top of my helm, and that's it. My entire crest is removable, though it would be a bit of work.
Anyway, my crest is solid wood. I don't really feel the weight, and they are super sturdy. You won't see any other knights lugging about their helms by the crest!  ;)

As to historicity, a Teutonic Knight could receive gifts with the permission of his superior. So a helm with a crest could be a gift from your secular family, and you could have it with your Komptur's approval.

Or you could be a high officer, though portraying that gets really really hard with accouterments and encampment. 

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah those are some nice crests. Maybe I will get one someday but my helm lacks holes to mount a crest onto it so I assume historically that helm did NOT have a crest. For now I am going without one because I dont want to drill holes in my brand new helm. I DO plan to put the ties on the inside however, and thats mostly for practicality and I think it would look better.

B. Patricius:
Sir Ulrich,

you could also always do something fun like this:
I love the look of those crests and it shouldn't cause any major modification requirements either.

The reason I'm giving you these ideas is your helm appears to be a variant of the helm worn by the Black Prince, maybe something like this too could work
that's his helm, the crest looks like it's attached in a different way that straight on top.

I do know from experience (I live in hot mohave county) that it definitely helps to have something on over the top of your helm.

I'm debating something fun like this for my secular knight.  I'm looking for 13th century stuff on tournaments and the like.  My lady doesn't like how austere the Knights Templar are and wanted me to also make a secular kit so she can "dress me up nice and dandy."  Oh darn!

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: B. Patricius on 2013-05-24, 20:48:13 ---My lady doesn't like how austere the Knights Templar are and wanted me to also make a secular kit so she can "dress me up nice and dandy."  Oh darn!

--- End quote ---

Ahah! Excellent. Once your lady is on board with it, the sky's the limit! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version