Main > The Courtyard

Helms & Mantles

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Wolf:
Sir James burned the top layer of skin off my nose at the photo day lol. ehhehe not really but it was SUPER hot ehhehe

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-05-16, 22:16:41 ---How did mantles come about? What was the historic solution to keeping a conical helm cool in the desert sun?

--- End quote ---

A turban, or other cloth wrapped around the helm.  You did say 'in the desert'.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-05-16, 23:30:03 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-05-16, 23:25:54 ---ya it does work. jsut dont leave your helmet upside down in teh hot sun and then put it on

--- End quote ---

Sounds like this was learned from firsthand experience?

--- End quote ---

I'm a terrible squire, I think that's why I was knighted early. :D

B. Patricius:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-05-18, 21:29:56 ---I'm a terrible squire, I think that's why I was knighted early. :D

--- End quote ---

put that on my checklist!  ;) ;D - "If I'm bad enough as a squire, they'll be sure to knight me early just to get rid of me!" 

all joking aside, I do feel that sometimes the US Military does that with its enlisted... how some men ever made first class is beyond me...

Joshua Santana:
I say yes that Great Helm mantles do keep the helm cool and from heads baking to red, leavened bread.  :D

On the other hand in regards to historical accuracy, period artwork is the best place to find mantled great helm. Specifically 14th and 13th Centuries.  They appear only in tournament or tourney artwork.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version