"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Good inspirational movies  (Read 28640 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Good inspirational movies
« Reply #15 on: 2013-05-13, 15:51:28 »
I saw this movie recently:

I saw it too, not bad, as you said, it's not KoH or Arn or Knight's Tale level, but it's on Netflix. The rope duel was interesting too.

Yea, thanks for mentioning that because I meant to ask- was that practiced in period?  I have read about the holmgang, but that was a Danish/Viking ritual where two men squared off on a staked hide- first blood on the hide or first step off usually determined the victor.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #16 on: 2013-05-13, 16:05:05 »
I loved Beowulf - both the live action versions and the CGI version. Yeah I know it is not period, but it was gritty.

Also not period was the original Conan the Barbarian - yeah I know; fiction, but still very cool. The 13th Warrior: Also fiction etc., but inspiring.

And yes, Kingdom of Heaven was a pretty darn cool flick ;-)
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #17 on: 2013-05-13, 16:31:33 »
i just watched the old Prince Valiant last night. still a great flick. and ooooooooooooh the viking horns!!!!!! lol

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #18 on: 2013-05-14, 03:15:46 »
Corvus,
as far as I'm concerned 13th Warrior is just as "historically accurate and period" as KOH and Knight's Tale or Season of the Witch.  Far as I'm concerned they aren't documentaries and were never meant to be so they're fine.  At least Beowulf is at least slightly based on a period text  ;D
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #19 on: 2013-05-14, 12:23:16 »
'Beowulf' was actually a story told and written in that relative time period, giving it a little more credence historically I think.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #20 on: 2013-05-15, 00:00:21 »
'Beowulf' was actually a story told and written in that relative time period, giving it a little more credence historically I think.

AND...they were all fun films to watch  :)

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #21 on: 2013-05-15, 00:10:33 »
I just watched a film called 'Black Death' (2010 I believe) starring Sean Bean. It was a pretty interesting film that takes place during the Great Plague and indeed it has an unexpected twist to the plot - which I at least, found intriguing.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #22 on: 2013-05-15, 01:03:25 »
:)

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #23 on: 2013-05-15, 05:49:23 »
"Black Death" is one I'm interested in as well.  Just a question though to those that have seen it:
Is it a horror film, like a thriller horror film, the gentlest of those I can think of would be like Jurrasic Park or Jaws. 
Is it a horror film, like a slasher, gory crazy film, like Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, or the like?
Or am I completely wrong even with what I've seen and it's actually an adventure flick that happens to have one of my favorite actors in it?  I'm thinking "Season of the Witch" or the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" type, with horror elements but definitely leaning more towards an "action" or "swashbuckler"

I'm not much for most horror films, although some, like Jaws and JP (if you can call them that) are amazing.  If it's more adventure based, I'm totally down.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2013-05-15, 13:03:25 »
Black Death is more of a medieval adventure than a horror, though it's horror-like. I guess your comparison to "thriller horror" is pretty good, since it's a story that slowly unfolds and a lot of people die, but without being a slasher. But it is definitely gory. There is some very brutal death and dismemberment, particularly toward the end.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-15, 13:06:41 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2013-05-15, 14:47:33 »
Sir Edward covered it. I've seen it twice, and don't remember any big fight scenes at all, either. It's a bit of a twisted movie, to say the least. Worth the watch.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-05-15, 15:12:22 »
Yea, no big battle scenes with dozens or even hundreds of men on horseback, but the fighting that is present is brutal, very brutal.  If you think more along the lines of Season of the Witch, you'll be close enough.  I guess you could call it a medieval action/adventure with elements of a thriller, not really a horror.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #27 on: 2013-05-15, 15:37:15 »
I think Ron Perlman was great in that film

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #28 on: 2013-05-15, 17:51:22 »
Excellent  ;D thanks for the head's up

and yes Corvus, I love Ron Perlman in "Season of the Witch" too

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #29 on: 2013-05-15, 19:35:14 »
ron is great in just about everything he's ever been in. a class actor. i really liked him in that steampunk french dubbed film