Main > The Armoury

Appropriate Helm for cerca 1100-1187 Templar

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Sir William got it from Revival.us. It's a model usually only available in Europe, but Sir William bought it but didnt want it for some reason so he sold it to me for a good price. I use it for my 12th century Teutonic knight kit which I wore at Days of Knights. I quite like it, even with my arming cap and coif it's STILL a bit tight, as I have a massive head. People constantly commented on how it was "too big for my head" on Facebook, it wasn't if you wore it over an arming cap and coif like it was intended. Without one the flat top slides around and it doesnt fit the right way.

Sir William:
Ulrich, have you considered maybe padding the ring inside the helm?  By that I mean padding the inner edge so that you basically have a donut shape?  Then when you put it on, the top of your coif makes contact with the helm while the donut serves to bolster the helm around the crown of your head, making it more stable.  It was a thought I had when I first got it; I just wanted a different sort of helm is all.

Silvanus:
Well, I've narrowed it down to one (or two) of these three possibilities. Please let me know of any vetoes!

http://www.paulchenhanweiswords.com/flat-top-crusader-helmet-large.aspx

http://www.tienda-medieval.com/en/medieval-helmets/2971-Helm-flat-bald-functional.html#

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-20764-crusader-helmet-steel.aspx#

At this point, I just want a new helm. For sparring with wasters or steel, I will just have to break the rules and wear a full great helm even though they arrived after my death at Hattin. That will be purchased later....

Ian:
I would rule out that 3rd option.  One, the breaths are really big and so are the eyes, which could both be dangerous while sparring, and they're not historic looking. Medievalcollectibles.com is also a very hit or miss place to do business.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-05-19, 01:54:22 ---I would rule out that 3rd option.  One, the breaths are really big and so are the eyes, which could both be dangerous while sparring, and they're not historic looking. Medievalcollectibles.com is also a very hit or miss place to do business.

--- End quote ---

Bolding mine - Yes, it is a shot in the dark. Every time you order, it never says anything is out of stock. I had a Christmas present ordered in December, which was still on backorder at the beginning of this month with no ETA (in Feb they said Mar, then in Mar they said Apr...). I also ordered a helmet that turned out to be out of stock, and yes, after paying for them of course. Best bet if you want to order from them is to call to make sure it's available first.

As Ian said, the breaths in it are just way off. The Paul Chen would be my vote, since the eye slots look a bit more narrow. If you're going to fight at all, that's *critical*. Someone in Europe was killed with a synthetic sword when it went through his eye slot. Never take for granted that we're somehow immune to brutal accidents because we're 500-1,000 years more "advanced" than our favorite time periods. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version