Main > The Armoury

Custom re-enactment sword commission

(1/5) > >>

B. Patricius:
Greetings all,

basically I just wanted to start a thread asking if anyone has worked with swordsmiths making a custom sword before?  As some of you know I'm in the market as it were, for a custom designed sword based somewhat off of Arn's Sword that Albion makes.

Basically mine isn't too fancy in its design, it's an Oakeshott Type XI basically.  I just want it to have some nice fine detail touches.

Without going too much into the nitty gritty details, the smith I got in contact with is excited about the project but hand forges his blades whether they be for re-enactment or cutting.  This to me, can be a good thing or a bad thing.  His previous work I've seen online definitely looks nicely made enough.  But that definitely adds to the price.

He's quoting me $900 for the sword.  That, to me, isn't that bad.  My only concerns are the fact he wants 50% down, without it being a deposit (I won't get it back, ever) so he can then use those funds for the casting of the guard and pommel and purchase materials.

That is what concerns me. 

I'm a small business kind of guy.  I'm trying to get my own going as we speak that is within the re-enactment community as well, just within Cowboy Action Shooting.  I know steel fairly well, I definitely know CAD/CAM/CNC, and I know how I'd at least run a custom shop.  It just kind of rubs me wrong.  That, and his correspondence thus far, which we have done all via e-mail, has had poor grammar, no letterhead, no format whatsoever.

So, for him at least, I'm thinking I'm going to try a different sword smith, even if they may be more expensive. 

My main concern is if the 50% down, no deposit is usual for a sword?  I know for armour it isn't.  At least, that isn't how Ice does things.

thanks all

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir Edward:

Actually, I think 50% down, non-refundable isn't a terrible request for a full-custom piece, since materials and design time have to be committed to the project that probably can not be re-used for another order if you decide to back out. However, combining that with poor communication skills, I'd probably be nervous about it too.

Albion and A&A usually accept somewhere around $300 to get started, even if the order is a bit more expensive ($1000 or more), but they're always able to find buyers if you have to back out. A&A's custom work is pretty top-notch, and they're pretty flexible. My last order from them was 100% custom, about $1100, and they got started with about $300 down.

Ian:
That amount is not too unreasonable. Just do the research on this particular smith and make sure he has a good reputation and won't have hundreds of unforeseen circumstances suddenly result in your money disappearing with no sword to show for it.

If he's got a good reputation for being a professional then you should feel safe. In my custom armor purchases I usually pay a deposit up front and then pay in installments once work commences. I've also had to pay the full amount up front. In either case I was dealing with people who I knew beyond a doubt would complete the work to my satisfaction.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-05-07, 14:34:24 ---Actually, I think 50% down, non-refundable isn't a terrible request for a full-custom piece, since materials and design time have to be committed to the project that probably can not be re-used for another order if you decide to back out. However, combining that with poor communication skills, I'd probably be nervous about it too.

--- End quote ---

50% down non-refundable is common from everything I've dealt with. That covers, usually, materials. The other 50% is labor. The issue that happens is when somebody bails after a piece is finished, and they're left holding an item specific to one person's request; swords are a little more "generic" in that they aren't fitted to you like armor, but depending how specific it is (engraving, heraldry, etc), it could be nearly impossible to sell - which means they lose those days/weeks of work, and the 50% down covered materials for an item they can't sell. Kind of like going to work for a few weeks, and then being told "oh, we're not paying you, find another job".

Communication skills, yeah, I'd be nervous. Have you tried Albion directly, since they make that sword with different details?

Sir William:
This is a custom job- 50% down is fair; it also serves as a deterrent for those who might be quick to pull out because the wait gets long.  FWIW, I have the Arn sword...I renamed it 'Irae' and I absolutely love it.

I saw a custom Type XI go for about that much on the AA boards...wanted it myself but couldn't convince the wife that I needed it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version