Main > The Armoury

Amazon Maille

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir William:
Not to mention the bingo wings...butted's out unless you're making it yourself.

Sir Ulrich:
Thats cheap but butted maille is lacking in quality, especially with those bingo wings. I think Leganoth bought the same hauberk, cause it came with a coif as well and he got his stuff off of amazon.

B. Patricius:
Sir Ulrich, I personally have found plenty of butted mail that was of a better quality than some of the imported riveted mail out there.  It all depends on the craftsman and if they care or not.  But I think that's what everything really comes down to.

Sir Ulrich:
I usually go after the wedge riveted maille due to the rivets being less likely to fall out as well as having a flat inside, that means it wont scratch you or shred your gambeson as you take it on and off. Of course that problem can be remedied easily by having a canvas gambeson or splitting the hauberk to be a lace on like James Anderson's hauberk, mine however is made of linen so I needed to fix that issue.
Butted maille is easier on the arming clothes only issue is it comes apart if you pull it too much, usually starting with the armpits, but high tinsel steel has less of that problem. But I've seen some pretty crappy looking riveted maille online before like the GDFB round ring round riveted stuff, but I have sworn off butted maille mainly due to the weight involved as well as it coming apart with "maille moths" as people call them. Then again ever since looking at pics of museum examples and actually owning a piece of Erik D Schmid's maille I find it hard to like butted maille mainly due to the fact I like my armor to be functional.
I will say european outfitters often make better quality stuff, at least in my experience, my maille chausses I ordered from Germany were rather high quality and were missing NO rings or rivets. But you will have high shipping prices, only reason I could afford mine was it was something small and not that heavy.

B. Patricius:
Fair enough Sir Ulrich.  I eventually will upgrade to full riveted mail.  As of right now, I'm making 16ga 5/16" butted.  And that, combined with all the rest will still weigh less than what I'm used to before I got into medieval kits.  My riveted will be realistically 16ga or 17ga... I have better access to 17ga in bulk in town via horses, cows, etc needing fences ;)

I'm also going to be following this article when I upgrade http://armourarchive.org/essays/rivet_revgeorge/  I'm just not one to support or condone other people's mediocrity like what I've seen available online.  I'm that anal and I know it.  I'm also in general happier with my best than other's work if I can do it myself, even if theirs is better.  Needless to say, my next decade will be spent with pliers in my hands!

here's my primary tools, btw the mini-vice grips are essential for any long term mail-ing (sp at all? lol) they help out so much with their added grip, and I got mine 4 for a dollar on sale!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version