"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: 'Paladin' mace?  (Read 3254 times)

Sir Omera

• New Forum Member
'Paladin' mace?
« on: 2013-04-26, 13:53:33 »
So, being in favor of maces as a ceremonial symbol, wheres a good place to find a model that suits the theme of 'divine authority', gold, the holy empire, etc? Also bearing symbols of say, a Lion, maybe even death to symbolize what I went through to reveal my soul to myself through a fog of darkness.

I want something also that looks 'authoritative'.

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
Re: 'Paladin' mace?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-26, 15:56:30 »
Well what kind of mace exactly. There are different types that serve the same function that you listed. Personally I would go with a latter period Polska/Polish mace, they were functional and quite decorative, often with jewels or other decoration. I knew a guy in JN that used to make them, not sure if he does anymore. I'll send him an E-mail.

But yeah any features in shape you are looking for? like flanges etc.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-26, 17:05:16 »
i like a few on the kult of athena website. but Ulrich just got an awesome one from some where over seas

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-26, 18:06:44 »

Most maces are pretty utilitarian in design, with some of the Gothic models being more detailed (though a little smaller usually).

The mace historically was a big symbol of strength and power, which is why it became common for royalty to have a scepter (which really is just an ornamental mace).

Unfortunately, finding one that is gilt with lion symbolism might require getting a custom one made. But if you just want one that screams "I can kill you in one hit", there are several good options out there. KoA definitely has some that will hit hard.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-26, 19:31:04 »
if you just want one that screams "I can kill you in one hit"

Who doesn't?? :)

I have no idea about the gilt or lions. A jeweler might be able to gold plate it, but I'd go with some gold-metallic paint, unless you have enough money for the actual gilting. If you do - hook me up!

Another option might be getting one with broad flanges and finding an engraver to engrave a lion on the flanges?

If you get one, post pictures! We love pictures.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent