Main > The Courtyard

Violence v. Sportsmanship

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Vander Linde:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-04-17, 11:35:46 ---I really don't think it's a training issue here.  The incident you described could really be prevented in the future by simply adhering to the social conventions of fighting, especially with someone you've never met, trained with, and are otherwise unfamiliar with.  Certain things simply must be discussed and agreed upon prior to engaging in any inherently dangerous activity where safety is a priority.

--- End quote ---

Well Said.

Lord Tristin:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me gentleman. I have found our words most enlightening.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-04-17, 11:35:46 ---I really don't think it's a training issue here.  The incident you described could really be prevented in the future by simply adhering to the social conventions of fighting, especially with someone you've never met, trained with, and are otherwise unfamiliar with.  Certain things simply must be discussed and agreed upon prior to engaging in any inherently dangerous activity where safety is a priority.

--- End quote ---

Obviously we are of a unique mindset Ian as we train for professional expectations to respond in such a fashion. Most ppl train for other personal reasons without any instilled expectation of obligated response due to job requirements. It is different when you do this for sheer enjoyment but still have the mindset of a soldier or cop per se.

Lord Tristin:
The main reason I began to train in European sword styles is to honor my ancestors. My Family fought and died for Spain for over 900 years by record. longer still if you consider the lineage of my blood. We never acquired vast wealth or property, but we fought with honor and owned land and served well. If not for Franco and his pigs I would still be doing so today.

My birth family lost everything in that filthy civil war. my family was wiped out for standing for what they believed in and I will never forget that. I am adopted, and couldn't ask for better parents and family than I have now, but knowing my birthright was taken from me by a power hungry fascist disgusts me. I may no longer have a title or land like my forebears but I have their sense of honor and duty. I fight now to honor the name that my blood bears, and to remember that my family passed on fighting tyranny and cruelty.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Lord Tristin on 2013-04-16, 23:27:10 ---I saw an opening and i brushed his sword aside and struck him twice with the edge of my shield to open up an attack to the upper torso. is this too violent?
--- End quote ---

It depends on the rules of combat you were competing under, and what you agreed to do or not do as a subset of that. Violent or non-violent is relevant to the context.

--- End quote ---

Sir Ian explained it much better than I, but I share the same thoughts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version