"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Now that the Albion sale is over...  (Read 11383 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Now that the Albion sale is over...
« on: 2008-10-24, 22:53:43 »
...I find myself a little poorer. :)

Bought a Count (with custom blue grip), and put a deposit down for the Maximillian. And I plan on paying $100 a month to pay it off... but I suspect I'll have plenty of time to do so, since it isn't in production yet.

But man, I couldn't resist the 25% off. :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Dragonlover

Re: Now that the Albion sale is over...
« Reply #1 on: 2008-10-25, 00:53:39 »
I'm rapidly discovering that you're buying up blades like I'm eating up harness...Lol!
 One set of full plate coming in, and another set being put into production.... ;D
 Yeah, we have to pay it off, but isn't it grand? Yep, I would've jumped the sale too!
Congrats again!!!  :D

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-10-25, 02:30:40 »

Yeah, the $100/month thing should work well. I suppose I could have done that too, but instead I opted to defer payment simply by ordering a model not yet in production: The Chevalier.

I'd have been tempted to do two as well, but since I already have the Dane reserved (and came out ahead since the summer price-hike made my reservation the equivalent of about 33% off the new price), I figured having two on order is more than enough. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-10-25, 05:36:34 »
I'm rapidly discovering that you're buying up blades like I'm eating up harness...Lol!

Oh, I've slowed down considerably over the last few years. :) This was my collection a few years ago... though it is woefully outdated...

http://www.myarmoury.com/collection_bill.html
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2008-10-25, 05:43:10 »
Yeah, I bought the Maximillian specifically because I know it won't be in production for a long time, which gives me a lot of time to pay it off. But I paid the Count in full right away right out of the bank to make sure that it wasn't an expense that would bite me later.

I suppose I could have done that too, but instead I opted to defer payment simply by ordering a model not yet in production: The Chevalier.

That's a great choice, and one that I was seriously considering as well. While my area of interest tends to be the late 14th and into the 15th century (at least for my medieval interests), there's something about the Chevalier that really speaks to me. It seems to capture the classic Crusader sword while at the same time being very unique. I think it appeals to me because its the type of design that really would have captured my imagination when I was a child reading about the Crusade era.

I was talking to David who said he felt the exact same way. He put money down on it as well.

I just couldn't justify putting money down on a third sword for the sale, especially considering I am still waiting on two others from Albion that aren't finished yet, and A&A just finished a HUGE order for me. But man, I do look forward to seeing how that sword turns out when its in production!
« Last Edit: 2008-10-25, 05:45:41 by Das Bill »

Dragonlover

« Reply #5 on: 2008-10-25, 21:07:52 »
WOW!!!

Thanks for the info to your site Bill! I perused it with the missus and have come to
the conclusion that I definitely have to meet you! I enjoyed your collection and I was telling
Sir Brian that I grew up next door to Charles Thompson in S.C. who at the time was Olympic
material. He and his younger brother got me into fencing as they could with a bout here and there.
I left that world for heavy weapons in the SCA and felt there was something lacking there.
After my bout with Sir Brian in Atlanta, which was a hell of a lot of fun, by the way, I have decided I may have to go to Tripletts here in N.C. and get outfitted all over again. The local W down here
had a set of classes and I just may take it back up as a place to start again with people who have
a good mind-set. I've studied martial arts like yourself, for years under my father and I am adept
with a katana, etc. I've always been enamored with the longsword though in particular, and like yourself, have always had a LOVE of swords....
 Cheers mate... ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2008-10-27, 13:43:54 »
I suppose I could have done that too, but instead I opted to defer payment simply by ordering a model not yet in production: The Chevalier.

That's a great choice, and one that I was seriously considering as well. While my area of interest tends to be the late 14th and into the 15th century (at least for my medieval interests), there's something about the Chevalier that really speaks to me. It seems to capture the classic Crusader sword while at the same time being very unique. I think it appeals to me because its the type of design that really would have captured my imagination when I was a child reading about the Crusade era.

I was talking to David who said he felt the exact same way. He put money down on it as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one, though I know it's going to be a long while. For me, my area of interest is pretty much all of the Medieval period, just for different reasons in each century. But I'm particularly fond of the Crusades through roughly 1350, the period of mail and great helms (though obviously the great helms evolved into being during the middle of that). The Chevalier looks almost heroic, in a way, being a historical sword that can also inspire a certain sense of adventure for those of us who grew up in the D&D generation.

I'll be highly tempted to commission a scabbard for it at some point.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2008-10-27, 19:19:15 »
Glad you liked the collection photos, Dragonlover. :) That was my collection several years ago... I've since sold some pieces, and added a whole lot of others. And the collection gallery doesn't have my current harness.

The website isn't actually mine: myArmoury is run by Nathan Robinson, and is meant as a resource for historical arms and armour enthusiasts. I one of the main writers for the site.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2008-10-27, 19:22:21 »
The Chevalier looks almost heroic, in a way, being a historical sword that can also inspire a certain sense of adventure for those of us who grew up in the D&D generation.

Are there any girls around? If so, then you know that by law I'm required to pretend I don't know what this "D&D" is that you're talking about. :)

I think this is the type of sword that requires it. Though my suggestion is to do it after market, not through Albion. Their scabbard backlog is ridiculously crazy... in my opinion, they shouldn't even be accepting orders for scabbards at this point.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2008-10-27, 20:16:49 »
The Chevalier looks almost heroic, in a way, being a historical sword that can also inspire a certain sense of adventure for those of us who grew up in the D&D generation.

Are there any girls around? If so, then you know that by law I'm required to pretend I don't know what this "D&D" is that you're talking about. :)

It's sad, but I was half expecting that first sentence to continue into ".. if so, I want to do them" (from that audio clip that's circulating... "I'm attacking the darkness!"). :) Don't worry, I don't think Pamela minds the whole D&D thing. :)

I think this is the type of sword that requires it. Though my suggestion is to do it after market, not through Albion. Their scabbard backlog is ridiculously crazy... in my opinion, they shouldn't even be accepting orders for scabbards at this point.

Agreed. Last I asked about it, they said the waiting list had grown to 5 years. I can always commission Christian Fletcher, among others, to do it for me. I think this one needs the integrated belt.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2008-10-29, 20:49:11 »

I just took a look over at Albion's site. You know, it's funny. Your eye can be drawn to a few models, and blind you to some of the others.

The count looks pretty nice, though I see why I overlooked it. I've never been drawn to octagonal or hexagonal pommels, but this one does look quite appealing. The beveled guard is intriguing. Bill, did you get the bronze or steel pommel?

The Maximilian looks quite formidable (and gorgeous!). I can't wait to put that side-by-side with the Dane!

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Dragonlover

« Reply #11 on: 2008-10-29, 23:39:29 »
That was definitely quite the collection to be sure! My wife and I met a couple
at CRF a couple weeks ago, and he says he's into hammering metal and would like
to try his hand at armor. He's going to drop by Friday night and examine my gothic
while I take it off the stand for the faire on Sat. Going to show him a few sites I know of
and any that anyone can suggest that might have photos. He also sounded really
excited about this site so I may see if we can't get him fixed up here... :D

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2008-10-30, 05:19:29 »

I just took a look over at Albion's site. You know, it's funny. Your eye can be drawn to a few models, and blind you to some of the others.

The count looks pretty nice, though I see why I overlooked it. I've never been drawn to octagonal or hexagonal pommels, but this one does look quite appealing. The beveled guard is intriguing. Bill, did you get the bronze or steel pommel?

Its funny you say that. I remember when the design was still in the sketch phase, and I didn't really didn't like it at all. Partially, I've always preferred the more slender looks of the Type XV family, or at even of Type XVIIIs. The Type XIII family never did it for me, visually. But also, there was just something about the sword that seemed weird to me.

And then, long after the initial release, I started looking at it, for the exact reason I didn't like it initially: It was different. And I started really appreciating the guard... I think that was the main selling point to me. I also started really liking how the pommel looked, particularly in bronze (which is what I ordered, by the way). And I just became more and more intrigued by the hilt.

Then at WMAW 2005, I got to handle one. It was smaller than I'd imagined. I thought it would be more like the Albion Duke or Baron, but its lighter and much more lively in the hand. I really liked the handling. So I eventually came full circle and grew to really love the sword... and what with the recent 25% off sale, I went ahead and plunked the money down.

The Maximilian looks quite formidable (and gorgeous!). I can't wait to put that side-by-side with the Dane!

Yeah... unfortunately, who knows how long it'll be until that can happen, at this rate. :) (Not a complaint... I need time to pay the thing off, so I don't mind Albion taking their sweet time...)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2008-10-30, 14:48:13 »

Yeah... unfortunately, who knows how long it'll be until that can happen, at this rate. :) (Not a complaint... I need time to pay the thing off, so I don't mind Albion taking their sweet time...)

That's true, it seems that some of them have very long development cycles. I saw that someone mentioned on myArmoury that the Dane has been in the works for about 4 years. I didn't realize it was that long, but I don't remember a time when I wasn't admiring it on Albion's site after discovering them. I'm glad to hear they think it'll be out sometime in 2009. But it makes me wonder how long it'll be before we see some of the other models, and particularly the Chevalier since that's the other one I have reserved.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2008-12-03, 04:01:24 »
Ooooo, my Count came today! And, wow, is it beautiful!

The blue grip and the bronze pommel really set each other off, and it handles like a dream! I definately have no regrets on purchasing this one!

I'll try to get the camera set up tomorrow to do some pics of it, as well as my recent A&A bundle. :)