Main > The Armoury

kult of athena has butted and riveted chausis NOW

<< < (5/12) > >>

B. Patricius:
if this is meant to be elsewhere, I do apologize, but on the topic of butted mail.  What is good for combat?  I've heard the gammut of answers, and I just cant get something as thick as 12 gauge fencing wire on my 5/16" dowel I made.   :o  It'd be way too heavy.  I like the diameter of the 5/16" and I'm not afraid to start riveting too (another shout out to Arador and Armourarchive on good resources).  Just after I finish my little gallowglass coif project, I want to know what to use to make my crusader mail.  :)

Sir Edward:

The rivets make all the difference in the strength of the armor. With butted links, you need to go to 14ga-12ga to make them rigid enough to withstand being hit, but with rivets the rings can be significantly lighter weight. Frequently they were something like 17ga flattened steel. It's much more difficult and time consuming to work with rivets, but that's how it was done historically because it's so much more effective.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-04-19, 15:46:46 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2013-04-19, 07:52:23 ---Far be it from me to whiz in your wheaties but since they are butted maille wouldn't the lacing hold better if you added a riveted link and laced it through them?  ???

--- End quote ---

That's a good point. Adding a few riveted links at the edges would be pretty easy. But then again, the links might have really nice tight/narrow closures as it is, so it might not be a problem.

--- End quote ---

Seconded, or possibly lace a strip of leather to point with, since it will spread the load across multiple rings.

Sir Ulrich:
I notice KOA has new hauberks in stock too. The sleeves also look tailored to a degree still not a huge amount or maybe thats just how they hang.

Sir Wolf:
i will post pictures tonight. it's just me and the 2 year old so we'll see what we can accomplish!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version