"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: FS: "Gorget" for strapped spaulders/pauldrons/arms  (Read 14015 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Have for sale a, what I'll call gorget, with strapping for pauldrons/spaulders and arms. It's not a true gorget in that it doesn't actually cover the neck. It's ideal if you have strap and buckles for your arms/shoulders, or don't feel like making an arming coat / gambeson with arming points. Probably would be good for loaner armor as part of a set, since the straps allow for adjustment in how high/low you buckle the shoulders and arms. I converted my arm harness to pointing (since I had an existing one the same way), so I don't need this any more.

Oh, I double-riveted all the straps, so that they stay "outward", and won't twist and turn around and get stuck. They can still get stuck folded under, but since they don't pivot at all, it's at least somewhat easier. :)

$50 locally for my Order brothers, add shipping if I need to ship it - should fit in a flat rate large box at $16 ($66 shipped)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-20, 18:04:49 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: FS: "Gorget" for strapped spaulders/pauldrons/arms
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-20, 20:43:15 »
you can always add a collar onto that. shouldn't be hard. actually the body part is always the hardest part.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-20, 21:07:19 »
you can always add a collar onto that. shouldn't be hard. actually the body part is always the hardest part.

I've got 3 collared plate gorgets and a brig gorget, plus a "armor stuff to do" list a mile long. I'm okay with selling this one. :)

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-02, 19:25:40 »
This is a simple base plate gorget I made a while ago. I did a few over the years ( 5 or 6 ). I learned about the about 7-8 years ago when I got to handle a very late ( 1495-1500 ) gothic harness ( original ) that had a simple base plate gorget just for suspending the arm/shoulder harness from. I do not know how common this was but handled at least one late original gothic suit that used it. James is asking about $30 dollars less than I used to get for them. 

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-02, 23:49:19 »
Allan has a set of Munnions up on AA that would go excellent with this. Just sayin'  ;)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-03, 04:04:30 »
Allan, thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if it was a one-off or a normal production piece. I also had no idea it was based on a period piece either - seemed like a modern "convenience" piece for someone who didn't want to do points on an arming garment.

Since I haven't had any interest in it, I've been considering keeping it and using it with a mail standard, as I need it to attach my pauldrons. I know a mail standard would be common for Italian style armor, but I think the pauldrons on that should be pointed instead of strapped, so I'm still up in the air. If someone wants it, I'll sell it. If not, I'll figure something out.

Sir Matthew, I saw the munnions. They're a bit outside of my period, and I'm short on any "fun" money due to some vet bills from a sick kitty. I was also eyeballing the 5-flute knees and elbows he has for sale too, but I've got a few things on hold pending money too. :(

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-03, 14:47:05 »
Yea...I'm sort of looking at those 5 flute knees and elbows too...but I have no real use for them at the moment.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-03, 17:21:31 »
Yea...I'm sort of looking at those 5 flute knees and elbows too...but I have no real use for them at the moment.

Pfft.. buy them! I've got armor I bought and never wore. Doesn't matter if you have a use for it, if it's quality armor and a good price. ;)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-03, 17:52:20 »
LOL

You are definitely a bad influence Sir James...I think you are more insidious than the likes of Sirs Edward and Wolf, they just tell me to buy it, you give me reasons that aren't really reasons, but they sound good.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-03, 17:59:49 »
LOL

You are definitely a bad influence Sir James...I think you are more insidious than the likes of Sirs Edward and Wolf, they just tell me to buy it, you give me reasons that aren't really reasons, but they sound good.  lol

And yet, I don't think you've bought them. Whatcha waiting for?? :D

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2013-04-04, 00:00:18 »

Sir Matthew, I saw the munnions. They're a bit outside of my period, and I'm short on any "fun" money due to some vet bills from a sick kitty. I was also eyeballing the 5-flute knees and elbows he has for sale too, but I've got a few things on hold pending money too. :(

I was actually thinking that mentioning that might help you sell this  ;). I try to be helpfull that way. If I had the cash I'd be all about picking this up from you and the munnions from Allan to wear in conjuction with my Peascod Breast and Back. I think that would look pretty sweet, but alas, I too am on the short side of funds right now and am trying to preserve what precious little extra I have for more necessary purchases.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2013-04-04, 14:17:16 »
LOL

And yet, I don't think you've bought them. Whatcha waiting for?? :D

Because someone else beat me to it.  Besides, I'm ordering a new gambeson from Forge of Svan; should take about 4 weeks to get it.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-04-04, 15:19:20 »

I was actually thinking that mentioning that might help you sell this  ;). I try to be helpfull that way. If I had the cash I'd be all about picking this up from you and the munnions from Allan to wear in conjuction with my Peascod Breast and Back. I think that would look pretty sweet, but alas, I too am on the short side of funds right now and am trying to preserve what precious little extra I have for more necessary purchases.

Ah, I'm so used to buying instead of selling, my brain went straight to that.

And more necessary purchases? Than armor? What could BE more necessary? :D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2013-04-04, 16:28:29 »
Other than food or water...NOTHING.  lol

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2013-04-04, 20:52:32 »

Ah, I'm so used to buying instead of selling, my brain went straight to that.

And more necessary purchases? Than armor? What could BE more necessary? :D

A shelter and water bucket for my Reiver group are pretty important. Even the cheap tarps and shelters I looked at are pretty expensive. Hope to find something cheaper at Market Faire. The water bucket from Jas. Townsend isn't too bad. But now I also found a reproduction of a period Latch Crossbow that I must have. The only problem is it cost 2 grand US, far more than I've shelled out on a weapon, even my Wheellock Pistol. So save, save, save I must.  :-\