Main > The Armoury

New Arming cap

(1/4) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
So I picked up a new arming cap due to the fact the padded coif I had was too thin to use as an arming cap for my topfhelm. Needless to say it is pretty good quality for the price.

My topfhelm does not move around at all with this on, same with my kettle helm. Shouldnt have a problem with the maille touching my neck on my coif as my gambeson covers my neck as well.

I got a question though, should I get my Royal Oak Dargen style Great helm WITH the measurements for this arming cap or should I get it with my thinner linen padded coif. Cause I think with this extra padding inside the helm too much padding would lead to too much heat retention. Keep in mind I actually prefer this arming cap more than my padded coif because it actually makes the coif fit properly.

Ian:
I would think getting the new helm to fit over that arming cap with coif is the way to go unless you want to constantly have to change arming caps depending on whether or not you want to just put on your helm.

Can you take a shot of the new arming cap without the coif over it?  Does it sit in place well without the maille coif?

Sir Ulrich:

lf

There we go, I think it sits just fine as I got a pretty big head myself. Every helm I wear is size large. Might add some leather to my coifs bottom where it touches my chin so it dont rust if I sweat.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-03-18, 00:34:46 ---Might add some leather to my coifs bottom where it touches my chin so it dont rust if I sweat.

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't do it for that reason specifically. Leather will absorb moisture, and once saturated, will retain it. That moisture will start to oxidize the mail. Plate armor will oxidize most around leather straps for the same reason. It does add some extra detail to it though.

Thorsteinn:
Around the brow, how big a head do you have?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version