Main > The Armoury

Authentic Templar Plate Armor?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Oh dear what a complete load of **ahem**  :o
G.

Sir James A:
I've seen worse. :)

It's at least somewhat historically based, even if the proportions are way off, and the helmet in no way matches the era/style of the rest of the harness. They're certainly trying, I'll give them credit for that. It does say made in the UK .. if that's true, it's certainly on the low end of the accuracy scale for stuff I've seen from the UK...

It does say "Authentic design", and "Authentic appearance" but doesn't claim it's an "authentic" original from the Templar era. I'll give them a pass on that, though I did have to re-read it twice to catch it.

Sir William:
They get no pass for that...even if you stretch a bit and say such a harness is accurate to 1314, I doubt the Templars would've worn it.  I have nothing to back that up other than my gut.  ;)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-03-01, 16:18:22 ---They get no pass for that...even if you stretch a bit and say such a harness is accurate to 1314, I doubt the Templars would've worn it.  I have nothing to back that up other than my gut.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Oh, no, your gut is right on that, it's certainly not accurate to Templar times in any way - it's a solid 100-150 years ahead of the last days of the Templars (at least if we go by the 1307 dissolution date - not counting conspiracy theories :D). It's *loosely* similar to this breastplate (http://www.ageofarmour.com/blackgoth.html), with having the pointed two-piece breastplate and the semi-standard pauldrons / 16th century wrap-around elbow / finger gaunts / etc. It's far from a good recreation, and, umm, I wouldn't wear it either. Better than the crazy indian one I posted a while back, but, I don't even think I'd put it on a stand in the house either.

Lord Dane:
Ok, I'll say it!! It's not only an insulting claim against authenticity but a clumsy attempt to reproduce an armor kit of an extraordinary Order and time period. Pssssst. May even the cheap-ass armor reproducers of "India" take pity upon this half-assed & un-stylish facsimile of English steel. Is that blunt enough??  :-\ I think so....  8) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version