Main > The Armoury

Shield of the Black Knight of the Order of the Marshal

<< < (5/6) > >>

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2013-03-01, 18:55:13 ---
--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-03-01, 18:46:45 ---You don't need hose for the edging. That comes from folks choosing convenience over looks. It's just a safety rule to preserve equipment & people on both sides. I use canvas covered rope or rawhide nowadays, but I've seen folks use bare wood that was treated with epoxy, or rounded metal channeling. Even an aspie like me gets that this is about spirit rather than law.

From the West Kingdom Armored Combat Rules:
"Shields shall be edged with leather, padding, or other covering or constructed in such a way as to minimize damage to rattan weapons or other fighters."
----
"No bolts, wires, or other objects may project more than 3/8 inch (9mm) from any part of a shield without being padded. Rounded shield bosses are not considered to be projections, handles, or other forms of hand protection are not included in this category."

--- End quote ---

Agreed, hide is the way to go authentically, and will make you shield last a whole lot longer in combat.
G.

--- End quote ---

But then there would no need to buy new replacement shields, Lord Gerard.  :-\ Being a bunch of shop-a-holics (or spend-your-money-holics), I fail to see the logic in this even if time-period & money-saving. :P LOL

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-02-26, 21:33:59 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-02-26, 20:18:40 ---Two shields, actually- a Beausant and another one of this guiged correctly.  Is that a word?  Should be.

--- End quote ---

Wait, bought one, and buy *two* more? I'm not sure I can contain that level of excitement!

I'm good with guiged. It's official a word now. :D

--- End quote ---

Good to know it's now official and not officially. Otherwise, I would feel slightly be-guiged.  :P

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-03-02, 14:00:02 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-02-26, 20:18:40 ---Two shields, actually- a Beausant and another one of this guiged correctly.  Is that a word?  Should be.

--- End quote ---

Wait, bought one, and buy *two* more? I'm not sure I can contain that level of excitement!

--- End quote ---

Good to know it's now official and not officially. Otherwise, I would feel slightly be-guiged.  :P

--- End quote ---

Hmm. I see what you did there. And what I did there. Whoops. :)

SirNathanQ:
We're a punny group of Knights....

Great shield Sir William! Yeah, having that guige moved will make a world of difference. On mine, I can almost toss them to the front, or only pass my arm through the rear arm strap, and with the guige around my neck, control the shield with my hand free.
Also there's nothing really that looks more boss hanging off the back of a suit of armour than a well mounted shield in the correct heraldry (except perhaps a military order mantle  ;))

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Lord Dane on 2013-03-02, 14:00:02 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

This, from the man who repeatedly fires off his responses to the wrong person is giving grammar lessons.  It is a new world, gents.  lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version