Main > The Armoury

Shield of the Black Knight of the Order of the Marshal

(1/6) > >>

Sir William:
I had this shield built for me by the fine fellows at Oakheart Armoury; I went with a slightly modified size (for them), 32" x 20", strapped and guiged for a lefty (they got the guige slightly wrong, but Sir James has offered to help me rectify that, thank you Brother); steel edging, canvas overlay, with my coat of arms applied and a padded wrist area.  I also wanted wider straps than the usual 1/2" ones, which they were more than happy to apply for me.  Total price including shipping- $115.00.  Just a couple of pics here.

Front:

Back:

Sir James A:
Excellent! Congratulations on the new acquisition, and we'll get it set up next time you're over.

Sir William:
Thank you, Brother- I am much obliged.  Although, I'll you- at that price I can put this one up on the wall permanently and carry the other about.  Might just do that...then we can focus on whatever else that needs doing.  Always something, right?

Ian:
Looks spectacular Sir William!  What's it made from?  What did they get wrong on the shoulder strap (I'm not familiar enough to know by looking)?

I think I will be enlisting their services in the future to have one done as well.  Congratulations!

Sir William:
Sir Ian, I do believe it is plywood, but not that heavy particle board/pressed material.  It weighs in around 5lbs, and about 1/2" thick- substantial, but not overly so.  They cut and shape the wood to suit their needs and they can add curvature if you're so inclined (I was and am for all my shields).

As for what's wrong- the lower guige strap end should be bolted lower than the arm strap- that way when it hangs on your back it hangs more or less vertically.  The way it is setup now, the shield hangs almost horizontally on my back and is somewhat awkward to pull toward the front in haste.  It does serve the purpose for which it was intended, I just need it to do it in a more aesthetically and practically pleasing manner is all.

As I was saying to Sir James though, at that price I may just put this one up on the wall permanently and have them do another for me.  I also need them to do up a Beausant one as well...something Sir Edward said some time ago stuck with me.  Something about historical accuracy or some such 'nonsense'.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version