Main > The Courtyard

WMA equipment

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2013-02-20, 16:15:48 ---I’ve decided to stop wearing my good revival clothing gambeson for my regular longsword training as it is really showing some signs of wear and tear. I still intend to wear it when we do our period demonstrations but for regular training I’m switching to the Motor cross type of armor and put a bid on a set like this. If I can win the auction I’ll pick it up for less than $40!  :)

--- End quote ---

Sir Brian, is that the front or the back?  It looks like the standard spine protector...

Sir Brian:
The picture is the back view. I don't have a front view so don't know if it protects the lower rib cage, but I will probably still wear my chest protector underneath it anyways for the added protection. ;)

Joshua Santana:
Quite interesting. 
--- Quote ---I’ve decided to stop wearing my good revival clothing gambeson for my regular longsword training as it is really showing some signs of wear and tear.
--- End quote ---

I see this is a warning, I thank you Sir Brian.  I was considering a front chest protection (similar to what Guy Windsor wears when he bouts) but it seems finding one is quite difficult.

Here is a WMA Equipment list in which I have drafted to achieve a period look when free fencing.

Revival Clothing gambeson (more likely to change or substituted with a Fuhlen Designs Gambeson)

Revival Thigh Knee Boots (got to admit it looks awesome)

Wondrose Armory Fiore Sparring Helmet w/ aventail

Rondel Elbows and Vambraces from Mad Matt's (or Anshelm)

(Gauntlets from Mad Matt's from my 14th century Harness)

What do you think?  Suggestions or warnings welcome!

Sir William:
Sounds good...let me know how it works out for you.  They're relatively cheap for the nonce...until the sellers figure out that WMA'ers may be interested as well and who knows, maybe jack up the price a little?  ;)

I actually picked up a fencing chest protector...at least that's what it was billed as...have to take some pics.

Sir Joshua, were you able to get a firm commitment from Mad Matt about those aforementioned pieces?  I know from personal experience that he likes a certain dollar amount to be determined before he'll begin work.  I wanted just the forearm bracers and ended up buying a full arm and leg harness (which I subsequently let go...not sure if that was a good move lol).  Just a thought.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2013-02-22, 17:44:32 ---Quite interesting. 
--- Quote ---I’ve decided to stop wearing my good revival clothing gambeson for my regular longsword training as it is really showing some signs of wear and tear.
--- End quote ---

I see this is a warning, I thank you Sir Brian.  I was considering a front chest protection (similar to what Guy Windsor wears when he bouts) but it seems finding one is quite difficult.

Here is a WMA Equipment list in which I have drafted to achieve a period look when free fencing.

Revival Clothing gambeson (more likely to change or substituted with a Fuhlen Designs Gambeson)

Revival Thigh Knee Boots (got to admit it looks awesome)

Wondrose Armory Fiore Sparring Helmet w/ aventail

Rondel Elbows and Vambraces from Mad Matt's (or Anshelm)

(Gauntlets from Mad Matt's from my 14th century Harness)

What do you think?  Suggestions or warnings welcome!

--- End quote ---

That setup will certainly make you the envy of everyone at any HEMA event!  :)

Although period gambesons are really great for protection and aesthetics they are a bit on the ‘warm’ side whereas the alternative WMA protective gear isn’t as heat restrictive. With that setup I would recommend you consider some upper arm gear as well as some clavicle protection and your setup didn’t mention a gorget! You MUST have a decent gorget because even a hard thrust from a synthetic blade could damage the air passage in your throat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version