Main > The Armoury

Birthday Gift

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bernarr:
Bashing on your friends isn't going to build stamina either. And just because you can hike a trail doesn't mean you can fight, either. I used to hike the Appalachian trail when I was younger, that didn't help me when it came to fighting. I did live steel combat as well as SCA combat for a long time. If you want to build stamina, do what the BOTN team does (direct from their site)-

2. Start Crossfit. If that is too much then do a round of Insanity and if that is too much start P90X. Remember these are just stating points for exercise, you have to get to a point that you can get through these pretty easy then start thinking of ways to really push yourself. Also you need to eat right so only one cheat day a month, throw out that crap you are eating.

Exercise isn't SUPPOSED to stimulate your mind, it's SUPPOSED to be a mindless act. You aren't training to become a neurosurgeon, you're working towards wearing 50+ pounds of steel and bashing on someone else with a steel rod. If you don't have the motivation to work towards a goal, then you should stop wasting time on it now. My first fight I was out of breath in the first few minutes. That pushed me to bust my ass for the next year, which led to a massive increase in stamina the next time I entered an event.
I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm just telling you the truth as I see it. I'm a very blunt person, and I don't mince words, which has gotten me in trouble more times than I care to count.

Sir Ulrich:
Guess I am gonna try to get a Royal Oak armory helm, that thing weighs like 10 pounds, I dont want that much weight on me, as well as the fact it's not really the design I want, it doesn't look "German" enough for me, looks more like an English designed great helm.

I wasnt bashing my friends at all, I just was stating he broke his back and I haven't gotten much exercise then. I honestly never was very athletic because I never really had a need for it. I used to work out a lot back then though, I just lost all my motivation to do it. Long story short I just need enough stamina to put up a fight. In all honesty unless I got someone to talk to while I exercise it gets rather boring, especially weightlifting which I stopped doing back in 2010. I think doing stuff at a pell and cutting targets would be more "stimulating" for me as It's not just lifting stuff up and down up and down in a boring repetitive fashion, I'd actually be swinging causing damage to something and overall let my frustrations out on targets. I am more interested in WMA than I am SCA stuff it just so happens SCA is the only stuff thats local here, the only thing I'd do that for is the stamina building as rattan clubs dont handle like real swords at all.

Unless you upkeep on stamina you will lose it quickly, though I still do have all my muscles from weightlifting thankfully I never did lose the weight I gained. I am thinking of just setting up the treadmill and watch TV and movies while running so I dont get bored by doing one thing for too long, and I am visually stimulated to distract myself from the pain. Problem is I get bored easily with things...

Thorsteinn:
I get the mindless bit. Thus why I always hit the gym with my mp3 player. I just listen to the music and let my body do it's thing.

Remember that a light helm is easier to accelerate and thus easier to get a concussion. My SCA helm is 14 ga and with aventail comes in at around 12lbs. After 12 years of fighting it feels a little light too.

Oh, and SCA fighting is what you make of it. Some of the top Western fighters are top WMA'ers and take a lot of what they learned in other disciplines to the field. I had this very same discussion with the head of the old HEMA club here, he said nothing I knew in the SCA was going to work. That there was nothing in the SCA he could learn, and that I could bring into HEMA. That lasted one sparring session after he allowed me to prove SCA was worthy.

One of the best parts of SCA fighting is that you can go as fast and hard as you need to. If you make it an unofficial fight then you can do more, but there are things that only occur at speed. Besides, sticks were good enough for our ancestors to train with. ;)

What's your budget? Have you talked to Hal Therion about what your looking for?

Sir Ulrich:
Well I did just recently learn how to swing a sword properly, you don't use your arms to exactly swing but your body, it takes a LOT less energy doing it that way and it doesn't strain you as much. I do need a pell to practice on so I can build stamina up as well as strengthen my left arm for holding up a shield properly. I am debating on using double weight stuff just to make the real stuff seem lighter though, thats why I look at the heavy stuff often. That IS what they did historically too...

Well I think my parents are rather cheap when it comes to this stuff cause I'm older and everything I want it more expensive naturally. I prolly would say they'd be willing to spend 100 bucks probably, last year they spend 120 on my Norman sword which was on sale. That means I'd have to pay 300 for the royal oak armory helm which I sooo want. Unless someone else can find me another German styled helm elsewhere thats for the late 13th early 14th century.

Lord Dane:
Sirs Ian & James are correct. If you wish to use a Great Helm style bucket for your head (especially in SCA style combat), make sure you use foam protection. A Macho Man style or similar head gear w/ a velcro chin strap will make any Great Helm fit snug & provide needed protection. I use it for my Pembridge in full steel combat & I have taken many head shots & felt little effect. It helps dramatically.

You will have limited vision however unless you only plan on facing forward towards an opponent. The weight factor is only a problem if you cannot support it because of your body's small stature. Build up your body before fighting in heavy gear you are unaccustomed to. Also, when training your body doing workouts, do all your stretching with your weapon in hand to get used to gripping/holding and making it part of your motion. It will help with later weapons training building your mass and adjusting to the drills you would do that take stamina over long periods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version