Main > The Armoury

Tailoring my maille.

<< < (9/13) > >>

Sir Ulrich:

Heres how much I removed, I think I did a decent job, I just quick seamed it with butted links to see if it fit me well, I still think I need to remove maybe 3 rings worth of material in the lower arm to make it taper more but everywhere else I think I am good to go. Any suggestions?

Ian:
Just always make sure that the lower arm is big enough so you can fit your fist through it.  The last thing you want to do is have a nicely tailored forearm and find you can't get your hand through it to put it on.  That's good that you're removing a few rings and then test-fitting.  Keep using that approach and you will get it exactly how you want it.  And pump up the Wardruna while you work and it will make it go by that much quicker :)

Sir William:
Make sure you left enough material so that when you bend and flex your arm, it doesn't prohibit full range of motion.  Looks good on straight.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-07-22, 12:16:13 ---Just always make sure that the lower arm is big enough so you can fit your fist through it.  The last thing you want to do is have a nicely tailored forearm and find you can't get your hand through it to put it on.  That's good that you're removing a few rings and then test-fitting.  Keep using that approach and you will get it exactly how you want it.  And pump up the Wardruna while you work and it will make it go by that much quicker :)

--- End quote ---

I said the same on FB regarding making a fist for it.

However, I neglected to mention the Wardruna. :(

Sir Ulrich:

Tried it with ONE sleeve, I used the rings I cut from the hauberk to butt together and seal it up because the riveting tool I got wont work with the rings I bought. I am still thinking I should remove more stuff at the top so it doesnt look so baggy there, but I worry my biceps will grow and will be too small and I am TRYING to avoid the armpit and I want it to look even. I am keeping it a bit baggy at the elbow because all the period pieces I have seen have had "pockets" at the elbows that were a bit baggy for mobility rather than a tube sleeve. It looks plain badass with my dargen great helm and imposing mace.
This is what I was attempting to replicate http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=collection&objectId=60494&viewType=detailView
Notice how the elbows are somewhat baggy, I was thinking that would help me attach my elbow cops easier which I plan to wear and lace to the hauberk anyway. Not sure if that kind of hauberk was period for the 14th century though thats a mid 15th century example but it was the lowest I could find with full sleeves rather than half sleeves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version