Main > The Armoury

Tailoring my maille.

<< < (8/13) > >>

Ian:
I'm glad you finally decided to take the plunge. It's a pain in the butt, but the results will be well worth the time and trouble.

Sir Ulrich:
I did end up puncturing myself in the thumb with a piece of stainless steel wire while my hands were filthy from the maille, may have to get a tetanus shot now I'm not sure if my maille had light rust on it from me cleaning it. All I know is I checked the sleeve again, I did taper it enough in the midsection but the lower arm is actually BIGGER than the mid arm, all thanks to my ties coming loose from when I was cutting it, now I have to measure the amount of rings and cut a bit of excess off and finish that sleeve later today.

Sir Edward:

It's better to remove too little and cut again, than to take out too much and have to add material. Much better in the long-run, for sure.

What are you cutting with? I know you said snips... you mean the scissors-like snips? Yeah, that's probably a real pain.

I use mini bolt cutters like this one:  http://amzn.com/B000NQ4OYO

It gives you pretty good leverage, and snaps right through.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-07-18, 11:26:04 ---I did end up puncturing myself in the thumb with a piece of stainless steel wire while my hands were filthy from the maille, may have to get a tetanus shot now I'm not sure if my maille had light rust on it from me cleaning it.
--- End quote ---

When you have an addiction to play with metal objects like pretty much all of us here, it is a good general rule to keep current with your Tetanus shots!  ;)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-07-18, 11:26:04 ---I did end up puncturing myself in the thumb with a piece of stainless steel wire while my hands were filthy from the maille, may have to get a tetanus shot now I'm not sure if my maille had light rust on it from me cleaning it. All I know is I checked the sleeve again, I did taper it enough in the midsection but the lower arm is actually BIGGER than the mid arm, all thanks to my ties coming loose from when I was cutting it, now I have to measure the amount of rings and cut a bit of excess off and finish that sleeve later today.

--- End quote ---

As Sir Edward said, and I said on FB, better too little removed, than too much. In regards to sizing, the middle of the sleeve should never be thinner than the forearms; if your elbow is smaller you don't want it tapered in there, or you won't be able to get your forearm through it. Make sure it's a linear decrease in diameter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version