Main > The Armoury

Tailoring my maille.

<< < (7/13) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-17, 20:49:02 ---Stainless mail is difficult to work with, the rivets don't squeeze well at all - and I tried 3 different pliers and 95% of the time it just bends or distorts.

--- End quote ---

I now use mild steel loose rings/rivets to tailor my stainless haubergeon and aventail.  They look seamless, and if one or two rings get some rust on them, I won't really care, but it's easier to work with.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-17, 20:49:02 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-04-10, 14:35:14 ---Well, as soon as my Svan gambeson gets in and I can take measurements, I'll send it to him.  He said and I quote- fit you like a tailored suit.

Color me excited!

--- End quote ---

My hauberk and voiders went out to him for some tailoring. I had already cut down the torso of the hauberk and tapered the sleeves, and it just needed closing up. Side note: Stainless mail is difficult to work with, the rivets don't squeeze well at all - and I tried 3 different pliers and 95% of the time it just bends or distorts.

Back on the subject, curious to see how the hauberk will fit when it gets back. The voiders I already cut down to proper size, but he's going to fix all the missing rivets (see pliers issue above), and then do the cleaning/refinishing. I tried the cement mixer and sand method, and wasn't happy with the results.

If all goes well I'll have the voiders back for the VARF shows!

--- End quote ---

Well, my Svan gambeson just arrived so- now for measurements.  It won't be back in time for VARF but it would appear I'm no longer in the lineup so no worries.  I will however, be there to cheer you on, and of course, hawk the crowd.

Sir Ulrich:
I packed mine up and will ship it out to him soon. Got all the measurements done, I am looking forward to having bingo wing free maille. Now to clean my chausses and find an effective way to tie them, once I get my shoes from viking leathercraft.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-04-23, 20:25:29 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2013-04-17, 20:49:02 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2013-04-10, 14:35:14 ---Well, as soon as my Svan gambeson gets in and I can take measurements, I'll send it to him.  He said and I quote- fit you like a tailored suit.

Color me excited!

--- End quote ---

My hauberk and voiders went out to him for some tailoring. I had already cut down the torso of the hauberk and tapered the sleeves, and it just needed closing up. Side note: Stainless mail is difficult to work with, the rivets don't squeeze well at all - and I tried 3 different pliers and 95% of the time it just bends or distorts.

Back on the subject, curious to see how the hauberk will fit when it gets back. The voiders I already cut down to proper size, but he's going to fix all the missing rivets (see pliers issue above), and then do the cleaning/refinishing. I tried the cement mixer and sand method, and wasn't happy with the results.

If all goes well I'll have the voiders back for the VARF shows!

--- End quote ---

Well, my Svan gambeson just arrived so- now for measurements.  It won't be back in time for VARF but it would appear I'm no longer in the lineup so no worries.  I will however, be there to cheer you on, and of course, hawk the crowd.

--- End quote ---

No longer in the lineup? What happened? Sir Nathan and I were expecting you to do the show with us the day Sir Brian and Sir Edward are out, and more help judging is always good.

Sir Ulrich:
I just finally decided to tailor my maille, cutting the rings with snips is a real pain, I notice the riveted links are harder to cut than the solid ones which I think may be because of work hardening possibly. In any case I cut 2 rows of rings out down the right arm using my fake arm. That took about 2 hours and my hands were SHOT and raw afterward from the abrasion of the rings. I then sealed it up with a row of stainless butted links in less than 20 minutes, reason cutting them took so long was cause I had to use pliers to pull them apart then take them off. I later found out I removed TOO LITTLE and still have bingo wings in my maille on my right arm, I'm beat for tonight so I am just going to do it tomorrow probably and have my mother help tie the ribbons around my arm so I know exactly where to cut now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version