Main > The Armoury

Blackening stainless plate armor

<< < (3/3)

Allan Senefelder:
If you should change your mind and think about heat blackening, two words of warning
--- Quote --- I use a zinc oxide coating to lessen then the rusting effect over time with my steel plate.
--- End quote ---
Clean ALL this off, zing, whether glavinized steel or other will cook off when heated and is heavier than air, it will settle in your lungs and off to the hospital with you ( it can take a number of days to get over it ), and 2) don't forget to remove all the leather strapping, it simply burn off whilst heating otherwise.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Allan Senefelder on 2013-02-07, 12:35:32 ---If you should change your mind and think about heat blackening, two words of warning
--- Quote --- I use a zinc oxide coating to lessen then the rusting effect over time with my steel plate.
--- End quote ---
Clean ALL this off, zing, whether glavinized steel or other will cook off when heated and is heavier than air, it will settle in your lungs and off to the hospital with you ( it can take a number of days to get over it ), and 2) don't forget to remove all the leather strapping, it simply burn off whilst heating otherwise.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Allan. :) I'm just going to paint them & keep it simple.

Sir James A:
I suggested paint instead of sending it to Allan to blacken due to the mix of mild and stainless; I'm not sure how well, or if stainless will even blacken, but I'd wager it turns out different than mild.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version