Main > The Armoury

Blackening stainless plate armor

(1/3) > >>

Lord Dane:
I'm looking for best suggestions to blacken some of my mild 16g steel plate for my new kit. Should I just paint or other thoughts?

Ian:
Paint would probably be the easiest way.  Bluing compounds don't really work on stainless steel.  I think the only 'easy' way to blue stainless is with heat.  Paint won't be that durable, but it would be a simple alternative to heat bluing.  Or you could durakote or cerakote your armor! :)

edit:  Is it stainless or mild?  Your subject line says stainless, but the thread text says mild.  Mild steel should be easy to use any good gun bluing compound like Birchwood Casey Permablue.

Sir Wolf:
if its mild i used boiled linseed oil and and old grill. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!! linseed oil is high flammable. it can even self com-bust in the rag if it is not soaked in water and disposed of properly. read the can to dispose of. but that being said it doesn't work on stainless, just mild. and it made it really nice and shiny too, redish hue to it.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-02-06, 01:31:12 ---if its mild i used boiled linseed oil and and old grill. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!! linseed oil is high flammable. it can even self com-bust in the rag if it is not soaked in water and disposed of properly. read the can to dispose of. but that being said it doesn't work on stainless, just mild. and it made it really nice and shiny too, redish hue to it.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. Have any pics to show of your final product so I can contrast, Sir Wolf?? Trying not to blue the armor.   

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-02-06, 01:03:53 ---Paint would probably be the easiest way.  Bluing compounds don't really work on stainless steel.  I think the only 'easy' way to blue stainless is with heat.  Paint won't be that durable, but it would be a simple alternative to heat bluing.  Or you could durakote or cerakote your armor! :)

edit:  Is it stainless or mild?  Your subject line says stainless, but the thread text says mild.  Mild steel should be easy to use any good gun bluing compound like Birchwood Casey Permablue.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestions Ian. :) The mild 16g steel armor I am trying to blacken is my splinted arms (elbow cops) and legs (greaves & knee cops) which I also have to do some rivoting on before I paint or otherwise. The stainless steel is a set of upper thigh plate that I may use with my harness depending on how it comes out without bluing it so it matches my black harness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version