"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: New Breast and Back?  (Read 2467 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New Breast and Back?
« on: 2013-02-01, 04:05:34 »
The group I reenact with is endeavoring to improve it's Elizabethan impression and to that end our captain has decided to allow the musketeers to wear some armor as they did during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. To that end, I am thinking of picking up another Peascod Breast and Back, this one without tassets, or just a Breastplate. In either case, I want to finish this set differently than my other one. I blued my other Breast and Back, leaving it sit for a while before applying the oil. This made it a lighter color and finish. For the new set, I'm thinking of trying to get a much darker blueing or possibly even painting it with milk paint. My question is, does anyone know how common this was in the late 16th and early 17th century? I have seen and read of examples of painted breastplates from the mid 14th to early 16th centuries, but I can't recall seeing any after the reign of Henry VIII. I'm thinking of painting it either solid black or painting it white with a red cross, the Cross of Saint Andrew being the English Flag during the 16th Century.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New Breast and Back?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-01, 21:51:01 »
I'm not sure about how common it was, but if you want to get a blackened peascod, Allan might be able to do it. I have a peascod w/tassets he did before, and he's done blackened armor before, too.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New Breast and Back?
« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-04, 15:49:20 »
Yea, Allan can definitely do it...he does a pretty even blackening job too; I recently got a number of pieces made that he blackened for me as well.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€