"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: scabbard companies......  (Read 3783 times)

Dragonlover

scabbard companies......
« on: 2008-09-15, 20:27:56 »
Does anyone know of any other scabbard companies besides the ones we have listed on the links page? I was looking into the trident line from Tritonworks until I discovered the waiting list is 18 months... :(
  Have recently acquired a 15th century ringhilt, and would love to have a nice 3-point suspension system.....

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: scabbard companies......
« Reply #1 on: 2008-09-16, 02:07:34 »
There's DBK Custom Swords:

http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/

I haven't seen his work up close, but from the photos it looks like he does a fantastic job for the price. If I had the spare money right now, I'd definately have some swords to send his way.

A lot of people don't realize that Art Elwell makes scabbards if asked:
http://www.arts-swords.com/

Tom Carr, who used to post on SFI and myArmoury a lot, used to do scabbards, but I haven't heard anything about him in years, so I don't know if that's still current.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v25/Jacklord1/

Regarding the waiting list for Tritonworks, I suspect you might have that issue with most scabbard makers. There aren't many out there, and the ones that are any good are in high demand. DBK might be an exception because the guy hasn't been around as long yet, but I think that's only a matter of time.

Christian Fletcher does really good work for the price. (Yes, I know he's on the links page already!) I've had scabbards made by both Christian as well as Russ Ellis (Tritonworks). Russ does a good value: A sturdy, decent scabbard for a great price. On the flip side, the scabbards are a little bulky and don't quite have the nice historical lines. Christian Fletcher's work is much nicer, but of course its also more expensive. Still, it isn't too outrageous.

I have a scabbard from Eric McHugh and also one from John Gage: Both are the nicest scabbards I'll ever own. But that kind of quality in scabbards, nowadays, costs more than many swords because they're incredibly hard to make. (Hand forged metal fittings, the wood is close enough to the blade so that the sword can't slide out when held upsidedown yet its loose enough to draw smoothly, all of the details are historically accurate, etc.) I don't know if either of them are doing anything custom anymore (Eric now works for Albion, though he still does some "one-off" pieces here and there).
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-09-16, 03:00:55 »

I'll certainly vouch for Christian Fletcher. I had him make one that was completed back in May. It was a six month wait, but well worth it. The scabbard cost nearly as much as the sword though (and it was an Albion)!

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Dragonlover

« Reply #3 on: 2008-09-16, 23:40:17 »
That seems to be the case with most of the good scabbard crafters :-\
I don't mind shelling out the cash as much as I can't see waiting a year.....
Have to check into these other places and see what I can turn up.
Thanks guys ;D