Main > The Armoury

New hauberk arrived

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir William:
That's interesting...it would be worth finding out what oil they coated it in so you know to avoid it in the future.  Of course, it could also be something else entirely- for instance, if you're allergic to cats, and you bought this from someone who has a lot of cats and isn't very hygienic about it, you might have a reaction to whatever dander's gotten on it.  Oil catches lots of stuff.

Congrats on your new acquisition, by the way.

Sir Edward:
Yeah, it really depends on what they used. If it's a petroleum based oil or grease, it'll loosen up in a typical solvent such as acetone, mineral oil, or even paint thinner (or gasoline or kerosene, but please don't use those). You can soak the whole hauberk in a bucket and slosh some of the stuff around, and rub it down with paper towels and the like. You might want to use rubber gloves for this. I had to do this once for one of mine. If you do this, use a bucket you don't mind trashing, especially since the safest way to dispose of the acetone/thinner is to let it evaporate.

The sawdust idea is a really good one. It'll still leave a small amount on the armor of course, but that will sort of disappear on its own if you wear it. Evaporation will get the remaining coating, which will be aided by movement.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, I actually like the quality of this maille better than my old one, it never freezes up like my old one. I am thinking of trying denatured alcohol to clean it as that would just simply evaporate and I wouldnt have to dry it off myself. I have no clue where to get sawdust in a large quantity but I do got a bunch of solvents mainly mineral spirits in my father's basement, just need a bucket to soak it in. I plan to coat it with olive oil and beeswax afterward, similar to how my coif is.

Sir James A:
I used what I had in the cement mixer trying to clean/polish my mail (which was less than satisfactory), so I don't have any extra. If there is any lumber mill or wood facility near you, they should have plenty and gladly give it away.

Forgot to mention if you have an air compressor, blasting it off or dry with an air hose works okay. It's not great, but it'll work in a pinch.

Sir William:
Ulrich, if you're set on trying different methods, be sure to test on a piece of maille that's not going to be front and center; like lower back hem or something like that.  Let us know how it goes...oh, and from where did you get your hauberk?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version