Main > The Courtyard

Clay as a cutting target

<< < (2/2)

Sir Edward:
Yes, the students had a wide range of experience levels, but Mike (their instructor, and the narrator) was much more clean in the video.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-11-26, 23:06:25 ---I still have my re-breakable board from karate. Maybe we can get the scientists to start working on some kind of genetically engineered target that we can cut, that regrows or reattaches itself within a few minutes? Anybody? :)

At 1:42 it gets stuck as the clay falls, and 3:28 it flexes almost out of control. It's a neat idea, would be good to save money on cutting materials for beginners, and you can make a torso sized target that would cost $100 out of multiple tatami rolls.

I wonder how it will affect technique when transitioning to higher end sharps with other types of targets?

--- End quote ---

I say we just collect some DNA from Sir Nathan & bio-engineer some "cutting clones". What do you think??  ;D

Joshua Santana:
Honestly, I have seen the video and I first thought that is was insanity.  First because of clay's tendencies to harden and could break a sword caught in the clay, however I think that it is a safe and cheap material for test cutting.  However I can also see a lot of side fun making the clay into a clown or animal for fun sake.   

Sir James A:
Using the cheap swords, it seems like fun. I don't think I'd let an expensive sword anywhere near it, but since the clay is soft, some stainless steel junk swords could even be useful for watching your form.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version