Main > The Armoury

Mac-Bible "glaive"

(1/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

Something that's often referred to as a "glaive" in the mac-bible, but really isn't, is this very interesting thing right here:

Unfortunately I don't know of any surviving examples. Much like the "choppers" depicted in the same book, I don't think any still exist. But these show up quite frequently, and in a variety of proportions.

I contacted A&A about making one, and we're working out the details. It's going to cost as much as a sword, but it will be a very cool and unique item to add to the collection.

Sir James A:
Whoa, awesome! Pretty soon you'll be chopping people in half through their mail, just like that guy. :)

I can't think of the name, but I've seen a similar Japanese weapon, wooden handle, long blade, and the blade flares out to about double the width, just like that one...

Ian:
I hear these will cleave through helmets as well!  ;) I can't wait to see the progress, that is going to be a fearsome weapon when it's done!

Thorsteinn:
Reminds me of a nagamaki or rhomphaia.

Sir James A:
Nagamaki is closer, I kept thinking naginata, and knew it wasn't that, because I have one. Ah well.

Sir Edward, have a look at this thread: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=106200

Second post from the bottom, 13th century weaponry. I'm stealing his picture, which is from Manning Imperial.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version