Main > The Courtyard

WMAW 2013

<< < (12/16) > >>

Ian:
Man, that knife fight looks so lethal and intense... that's really awesome.  And yes, I echo your sentiment, I would much rather bring a gun to a knife fight any day of the week.  The winner in a knife fight is often not in much better shape than the loser.

I never really saw good messer fighting, and always thought the weapon itself looked rather cumbersome.  However, that bout in the second video really showed the true elegance of that weapon.  Very impressive on all accounts!

Good stuff Sir Ed, looks like an amazing time!!

Sir Edward:

Oh yes, it was a great event this year. It always is, but they keep refining details and inviting some new instructors each year. It's the one place you get to see international training come together like this.

I did a really good job of pacing myself. Most of the bruises, and soreness I accumulated is already fading, since I took it easy the last couple of days there. I did get a lot of fights in, and took some fun classes.

Oh, and one of the lectures I was in was about this English manuscript from the Marquis of Newcastle. It starts off explaining that his martial technique is designed to defeat ALL weapons (and he goes into excruciating detail, listing them), and he wanted to pass it on to his sons, but was dismayed that they showed no interest in learning it. So he wrote it down so that they could learn it later, in case he took it to his grave. Paul Wagner is currently transcribing the manuscript, but so far he's gotten the core of the art out. I can sum it up in one word: "LOL".  :)  I'll have to show it to some folks here in person later. There's really no good way to describe it. It's completely ridiculous, and yet, I think there's something to it (in the sense that he just surprised people by doing something weird, and survived on the losing side of the English civil war).

Sir Brian:
Awesome videos! Truly I wish I could have made it this year.   :(

Alas I hope I can still make it to DoK! Lord knows I’ve shelled out enough $$$ buying stuff in preparation.  :-\

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-09-24, 03:44:46 ---First is the knife-fight between Thayne Alexander and Keith Jennings. What's hard to see in the video is that the strikes were not light or incidental. When they hit each other, these were solid strikes. After watching it, you might agree with my feeling that I don't want to EVER get into a real knife fight:

--- End quote ---

I had that feeling a year or so ago after I saw this video:

It gets *real* at a little after the 1 minute mark.

The WMAW knife fight was great too. They really turn everything up a notch for that event. Maybe I'll make 2015.

Ian:
Yeah knife fights are absolutely vicious.  In that video around the point where it got 'real' you see that in what.... about 2 seconds he pretty much ventilated that guy from stomach to neck and there was nothing he could do about it.  There's a certain level of brutality in a knife fight that's just not seen in many other types of weapon fights.  It's pure overwhelming violence of action with intent to kill.

It's over so quick, and you can just imagine if that were real, the attacker would just turn and walk away and that other guy would just bleed out on the floor in a few seconds with virtually every major organ on the left side of his body punctured, and his neck torn open.  And really, after that first or second stab, the shock and incapacitation that occurs might even prevent you from attempting to stop the rest of those attacks, not that it would matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version