Main > The Armoury

Wedge riveted vs Dome riveted maille.

<< < (2/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

MyArmoury doesn't allow hot-linking images, so we're just getting the logo. You'll have to download the image and include it as an attachment to show us.

Sir William:
Ulrich, check these guys out:  http://www.capapie.co.uk/

I'm considering having my maille done by them...or going for a full welded/no rivet hauberk.  I'm wrangling with deciding between going more historical, or less-labor intensive...the welded rings have a lifetime warranty so it is quite hard to beat that, but it also does not hold up to close inspection.  Got to choose.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-10-17, 06:37:41 ---all the time rivets fall out of my hauberk, like I will put it down on the ground and I'll see rivets on the ground

--- End quote ---

That sounds unusual. I've had my hauberk up and down a whole lot of times between trying on, tying to tailor, clipping, checking, clipping, checking, and constantly working with it, and I've never seen a single rivet fall out (which would be on the floor in one room). Same for my chausses and coif, I've used them a few times around the house, no popped rivets I've spotted. All my mail is round/pin riveted, flat ring.

The biggest quality problem isn't the rivet itself, but more of how well they are (or aren't!) set/peened. If you have the time and desire, you could minimize loss with that hauberk by going over the rivets and tightening them all down (by tool or by hammer), and replacing any questionable ones (set too close to the edge, etc).

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, I fixed the pic. Should show now why wedge riveted maille doesn't have the rivet popping problem as easily.
Anyway I could do that and I have been doing it but it doesn't work I always seem to lose rivets easily. In all honesty I wish I could afford a full hauberk of Erik's maille plus chausses but thats not gonna happen anytime soon so I am trying to go for the next best thing. Oddly my old gambeson didn't have a problem with catching threads because it was heavy cotton canvas. I only made this purchase for this hauberk because of the sale and I thought the black looked cool and the sale pressured me. Now I don't really care if it's black or not because I can get a hauberk for the same price from KOA with the solid rings. At least now I never have to buy another coif again.

Cap a Pie seems to sell the kind I want. I'd have to keep an eye on them for now. Shipping would be huge though especially considering KOA said shipping it to NJ would be 30 bucks.

Welded maille would be an option, in all honesty I wouldn't mind having a full hauberk of that only issue is stainless is very shiny and doesn't have that dull iron look that gives the aesthetics I want. if I could get welded with the black coating that would be better.

This is why I hate ordering online, you don't see the goods in person before anything else, pictures can only tell so much. You gotta see and feel the goods to know if you'd be able to wear them.

Sir Edward:

My riveted mail is mostly GDFB. I think the main thing I have from Icefalcon is the chausses.

My rivets aren't falling out, so it's possible you just got some bad mail. Mine DO however catch on things here and there, but it's not a big problem with mine. I have more of an issue with the rivets catching on other parts of the mail than on the fabric, and that's really only an issue if I'm wearing the hauberk and the chausses together.

Most of the rivets are pretty poorly closed on mine, admittedly. And the ones I'm riveting aren't any better. The tools just barely do the job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version