Main > The Armoury

New maille coif by Erik D Schmid

<< < (2/4) > >>

B. Patricius:
I first saw that you acquired this over on MyArmoury forums.  I am so jealous you got a coif made by THE MAN!!  Let alone what a smoking deal you got for it too!  Mr. Schmid's work has been the go-to manual for me making my mail right now.  Any chance can you post up some really good hi-def pics of the links on the peined side (the outside)?  It's okay if it goes to a link too, I just want to get a really good look at them as I work on mine. 

I've already made a compromise with my dome riveted mail as I can't fess up the money for the solid punch rings.  It'd cost me nearly $600 for 25,000 solid punch rings as that's still cheaper because of bulk rate than getting 18,000 and they're still not correct enough to warrant it.

But if I can get my rivets on the pein side to look even close to right, it'd be a win for me.  I'm trying to get mine as close to good as I can.  I also saw on the MyArmoury forums that the peined side of wedge riveted mail looks almost identical to dome riveted, and I already have a great pic of an archaeological original 12th century mail for the inside.

thanks bud!
so jealous lol

YIS
B. Patricius

Sir Ulrich:
http://conall-taixali.deviantart.com/art/Riveted-Maille-338727817
http://conall-taixali.deviantart.com/art/Riveted-maille-inside-338739823
There you go, 2 high def pics of how my riveted rings look. It's wedge riveted not dome riveted though, round ringed too, which I have never seen any commercially available maille thats round ring wedge riveted.

B. Patricius:
Thanks Sir Ulrich!  Those are just the pics I needed.  Is it okay if I post them on my pinterest board?  That's basically become my virtual hard-drive for all my research  8)  I kept filling up my externals before I found that place lol

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2013-06-02, 07:21:45 ---I have never seen any commercially available maille thats round ring wedge riveted.

--- End quote ---

If it doesn't say "flat ring riveted", it's round ring. It isn't as common as flat ring since it's harder (more time consuming) to make, but there's at least a couple places that I know of that make it. KOA has some (through GDFB I think).

Sir Ulrich:
Go ahead and save the pics I dont mind.
Anyway, I was saying round ring wedge riveted. There is round ring dome riveted but I never saw round ring wedge riveted maille offered ANYWHERE. The rings for this maille are small too, I dont know if they're 6MM but they look 7MM I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version