Main > The Armoury

Days of Knights soft kit (and others probably)

(1/3) > >>

Sir James A:
Got the last thing in the mail for my Days of Knights soft kit today, did a quick test fit and took a picture. A horrendous cell phone in the mirror picture:

I will have a taller set of boots from Viking Leather, but since they will be at Days of Knights, I'm picking them up there to save on shipping. Undecided if I'll go with the short or tall. Anyway, kit components:

* GDFB Wool Cloak, black outer, white inner
* Historic Enterprises Bocksten tunic (14th century), Dark Red/Maroon
* GDFB drop-fly wool pants (15th century?), Brown
-- ALTERNATE/NOT PICTURED: Revival Clothing 14th century braies w/linen chausses (Black)
* Revival clothing linen shirt (white)
* Revival clothing simple black gloves
* Viking Leather 14th century buckled boots (black)
* Viking Leather "kidney" pouch (natural)
* Inner Bailey longsword belt (black), w/CAS Hanwei longsword (Arms & Armor Schloss Erbach if I get a decent scabbard)
* Simple D-Ring belt, black (MRL? Can't remember...)

Everything falls in the 14th century, with the exception of the drop-fly pants - they're about as tight as chausses, and the wool should be more comfortable in the cooler weather. The tunic covers them, so it's mostly a "hidden sin" of sorts.

I've also got a short-tailed linen hood coming from Revival, but not sure if I'll be wearing it since the cloak has a hood.

I've got some variety of color, but more subdued colors. From some quick reading, I read that the younger and more wealthy would wear brighter colors, and older or less wealthy would wear more pale, or darker colors. When they would dye clothing, nobles and wealthy would get "first dye", and the strongest color transfer - bright reds, etc. Others would get "reused" dye, with less potency (dark red / maroon), and the colors would end up less vibrant. I'm not a noble, so I went with darker, earthier colors.

Only issue so far is that the cloak seems to want to kill me. The tie string constantly rides up at my neck whenever I have it pushed back off my shoulders. All I can think of is pinning it to the tunic and hoping it won't pull up the tunic if I have the belt tight enough. Any suggestions?

Ian:
Looks great Sir James!  The cloak really sets it apart I think.  It brings the whole thing together in a really cohesive way.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2012-10-06, 20:13:58 ---Got the last thing in the mail for my Days of Knights soft kit today, did a quick test fit and took a picture. A horrendous cell phone in the mirror picture:

I will have a taller set of boots from Viking Leather, but since they will be at Days of Knights, I'm picking them up there to save on shipping. Undecided if I'll go with the short or tall. Anyway, kit components:

* GDFB Wool Cloak, black outer, white inner
* Historic Enterprises Bocksten tunic (14th century), Dark Red/Maroon
* GDFB drop-fly wool pants (15th century?), Brown
-- ALTERNATE/NOT PICTURED: Revival Clothing 14th century braies w/linen chausses (Black)
* Revival clothing linen shirt (white)
* Revival clothing simple black gloves
* Viking Leather 14th century buckled boots (black)
* Viking Leather "kidney" pouch (natural)
* Inner Bailey longsword belt (black), w/CAS Hanwei longsword (Arms & Armor Schloss Erbach if I get a decent scabbard)
* Simple D-Ring belt, black (MRL? Can't remember...)

Everything falls in the 14th century, with the exception of the drop-fly pants - they're about as tight as chausses, and the wool should be more comfortable in the cooler weather. The tunic covers them, so it's mostly a "hidden sin" of sorts.

I've also got a short-tailed linen hood coming from Revival, but not sure if I'll be wearing it since the cloak has a hood.

I've got some variety of color, but more subdued colors. From some quick reading, I read that the younger and more wealthy would wear brighter colors, and older or less wealthy would wear more pale, or darker colors. When they would dye clothing, nobles and wealthy would get "first dye", and the strongest color transfer - bright reds, etc. Others would get "reused" dye, with less potency (dark red / maroon), and the colors would end up less vibrant. I'm not a noble, so I went with darker, earthier colors.

Only issue so far is that the cloak seems to want to kill me. The tie string constantly rides up at my neck whenever I have it pushed back off my shoulders. All I can think of is pinning it to the tunic and hoping it won't pull up the tunic if I have the belt tight enough. Any suggestions?

--- End quote ---

Very nice Sir James. :) Looks very complimentary on you. Only suggestion I have on the cloak is use a clasp-type or pin-back clasp as opposed to a drawstring. Somehow it works better on mine either centered or off-the-shoulders & doesn't choke me.

Sir Edward:

Looks great! I second the recommendation for a cloak clasp.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-10-07, 13:32:54 ---
Looks great! I second the recommendation for a cloak clasp.

--- End quote ---

If it means Sir James must spend more money then I'm in complete agreement!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version