Main > The Armoury

Teutonic Knight, 1360

<< < (5/6) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Ian, my gorget will be hidden. It's for combat, where solid neck defenses are a top priority!

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-09-29, 18:49:12 ---Ian, my gorget will be hidden. It's for combat, where solid neck defenses are a top priority!

--- End quote ---

My spaulders connect to my gorget so kind of a mute point. It is a needed component.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-09-29, 00:38:26 ---I wear armor padding for the greave problem when I wear a soft flaxen boot & not needed when I wear leather boots. Solves that metal digging into my foot problem with ease. Plus, I practice spear techiques that involve utilizing a butt-end (sharp & blunt) in addition to the spear-head so protecting my feet is paramount. Of course, I'm also not wearing a full-harness when I do this type of fighting so....

The plate sabatons just seem more prominent with later armor kits that you see as display (why I always picture them in later periods). I just don't prefer them.   

--- End quote ---

That's a very good point. I think we just have less of the earlier period sabatons due to them being a couple centuries older, and one of the more heavily abused bits of armor (so close to damp ground all the time). It's very much personal preference, just pointing out that based on effigies and other data, sabatons are much earlier than generally thought of.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-09-29, 19:23:11 ---
--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2012-09-29, 18:49:12 ---Ian, my gorget will be hidden. It's for combat, where solid neck defenses are a top priority!

--- End quote ---

My spaulders connect to my gorget so kind of a mute point. It is a needed component.

--- End quote ---

It is also a Renaissance-era invention.  You see that?  You went there without even meaning to.  I have found that lacing my spaulders to my hauberk (or arming coat if you have one of those) makes them much more stable than a strap to the gorget.  I have that set up too...and they're just not as stable.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-10-03, 20:03:07 ---
--- Quote from: Lord_Dane on 2012-09-29, 19:23:11 ---

--- End quote ---

My spaulders connect to my gorget so kind of a mute point. It is a  needed component.

--- End quote ---

It is also a Renaissance-era invention.  You see that?  You went there without even meaning to.  I have found that lacing my spaulders to my hauberk (or arming coat if you have one of those) makes them much more stable than a strap to the gorget.  I have that set up too...and they're just not as stable.

--- End quote ---

My gorget is worn under my breastplate n the straps connect at the collar base n at 2 points on my biceps. Very secure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version