Main > The Armoury

Soft Kit for DoK

<< < (5/6) > >>

Jessica Finley:
The range and brightness of medieval plant-dyed wool can be surprising to some. 

Sir Wolf:
awesomeness.

Sir Ulrich:
I do notice none of them are black. Was black a rare color back then? Most of my arming clothing is in black because I don't like the dirt to show up on it so I can skip washing the outside. I did read that back then when the dyes would decay or fade to grey and black back then after a while. Not sure if that was true or not.

Sir Wolf:
if u look there not true black like modern black. only black really in period is worn by the rich and by hospitatlers.

modern black is really hard to make and keep it kept fading bad. iron and viniger make some nice black for leather

Jessica Finley:
Yes, they could get black (look at paintings to see the frequency of black showing up as a color worn).  Certainly that box of yarn isn't an EXCLUSIVE list of colors possible, simply one person's INCLUSIVE example.  :)

black was expensive because it required frequent re-dyeing to keep it dark.  This cost money for the garment had to be picked apart (the lining removed, buttons, trims, etc), dyed, and relined.  This did, however, keep the garments going for a very long time.  It was the lining that wore out first, and got stinky etc.   So having the ability to take things apart to freshen them was great - for those that could pay for it.

For something like an arming coat - it was highly unlikely.  The things that needed frequent washing were white or undyed.  That said, clearly, some people were wearing garments that were colored as arming garments.  Red seems to be frequent, as well as blue, but then these are easy colors to get.  :)

Jess

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version