Main > The Armoury

Going Teutonic

<< < (6/7) > >>

Ian:
People aren't smiling in old photography and paintings simply because of the fact that they had to hold poses for a long time.  Long photographic exposures require you be incredibly still, and it's hard to hold a smile without moving for 5 seconds.  The result would be a blurry photo.  Paintings required the subject sit for hours, and holding a smile would be uncomfortable.  It has nothing to do with people being stern or unhappy, or hardened by their lives etc... it was just a necessity of the medium they were using to capture an image.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, I just dont think it's normal for a knight in battle to smile for a pic, unless it's a smile of victory in the end. I prefer to look stern but it comes off as angry. I actually was trying for a neutral expression but the brightness of the sun makes me squint and look angry. Oh well, no one will see it anyway with my topfhelm on.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-09-28, 18:10:41 ---Ulrich, you're looking quite dashing there my friend...one thing, I'd move the sword to hang at the side of your hip rather than the front.  I know the images show it that way but you might find it more comfortable and less annoying to not having it bang on your leg every time you take a step or the pommel bite into your stomach when you go to sit down and forget you're wearing a sword...until that happens.

Sir Edward's suggestion for your hair is probably the best one...he normally sports a pony tail and his hair's quite long.  Wish I could do it.

I have a personal question though...why do you look so unhappy?

Oh, and one other thing- you'd mentioned earlier that you didn't feel the name Ulrich suited a Templar and I've been meaning to tell you that the Templars weren't just English or French in origin; a good number of them were recruited from the Levant and so they would've been a melting pot mix of Arab, Italian, German, African and other nationalities.  Just a thought.

--- End quote ---

I agree with Sir William. You might want to angle that scabbard slightly especially where it looks as long as your legs. A suspension system would help slightly better than a frog and not make it so clunky banging into your body while you walk.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2012-09-28, 21:46:30 ---Yeah, I just dont think it's normal for a knight in battle to smile for a pic, unless it's a smile of victory in the end. I prefer to look stern but it comes off as angry. I actually was trying for a neutral expression but the brightness of the sun makes me squint and look angry. Oh well, no one will see it anyway with my topfhelm on.

--- End quote ---

Point taken, but you're not in battle, so don't be afraid to at least crack a smile. You don't have to show teeth. I'm not sure why, but it's hard to peel a smile off my face when I get new armor. :D

Sir William:
And then there's the maniacal look of glee while you're burying your blade into the gullets and bellies of your enemies...not that I'd know what that looked like on me, per se, but I figure it can't be too far from Jack Nicholson's in The Shining. 

Seriously though...don't be afraid to smile, especially at women.  Makes you look more inviting, hence lessening their fear of approaching you.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version