Main > The Armoury

Hacking up a sword

<< < (11/13) > >>

Sir James A:
I've never understood why most other renn fests allow you to bring weapons but the md renn fest does not. I understand if you're not wearing a kit, but if it goes with the kit, and, as far as I know, no one has been killed by attendees with weapons, I don't know why they prohibit them. I'm surprised they didn't ask you to take the "sword" to your car for the rest of the day.

Seems a bit like driving a modified car. You know you're not doing anything wrong, yet you know people are looking at you and thinking you're "up to no good" because of it. Sir Edward, do you think it was worth the extra harassment to wear the prop than to go without it and not be bothered?

Sir Edward:
Yes, I think so. It's only one security guy who has made it his personal quest to keep telling us "for future reference" that we shouldn't bring in scabbards (because you might hit a kid in the face). And then I had security called on me once, but the security guys were very polite and were unconcerned once they looked at it. The rest of the time, no one cares.

As for MD being the only one that seems to disallow real swords altogether, it's a strange combination of things. They still have sword vendors on site, so it seems a bit hypocritical to me. However, the faire is owned by a family of lawyers, in a predominantly left-leaning state that is afraid of weapons in general. MDRF is also the one we see the most stupid drunks at. And I'm not sure of the accuracy of the stories floating around, but supposedly many years ago, they had a situation where an armed patron pulled a dagger on the queen, plus some cases of drunks swinging sharps at each other in the parking lot.

They used to only disallow patrons from carrying, but it was OK for vendors. Then some vendor did something stupid with pulling a weapon on another employee, and then that ended. Now only cast can carry.

When I was a teen, I used to sneak a sword in with me (back then I only attended once a year, so it wasn't a big organized effort). It's easy to get past security with cloaks and the like. I gave that up a long time ago, when I became more intent on honorably obeying the rules. :) However, we do still from time to time see people get in with sharps, without security stopping them. We've seen a few folks brag to us about that (so they obviously knew it was against the rules).

Knowing this faire, we'll eventually get banned from bringing the fakes in, because technically their rules already don't allow for it (website says no costume weapons), and eventually they'll probably decide they can't trust their security guys to tell the difference, so they'll ban them all. But until that happens... until they explicitly say "no" to me, I think it's a valuable costume piece that completes the look, and I really haven't been hassled that much.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote ---Knowing this faire, we'll eventually get banned from bringing the fakes in, because technically their rules already don't allow for it (website says no costume weapons), and eventually they'll probably decide they can't trust their security guys to tell the difference, so they'll ban them all. But until that happens... until they explicitly say "no" to me, I think it's a valuable costume piece that completes the look, and I really haven't been hassled that much.
--- End quote ---

I think if/when that day happens I will probably stop wearing armor to MDRF if I hadn't stopped going previously.  :-\

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2010-10-20, 18:57:17 ---I think if/when that day happens I will probably stop wearing armor to MDRF if I hadn't stopped going previously.  :-\

--- End quote ---

Hopefully it won't come to that. I suspect what it'll take is if someone passes off a sharp as a fake, and then hurts someone. But the whole mentality of that area seems to be "ban first, ask questions later", so we'll see.

Sir Wolf:
ya it just sucks all the way around. i can never bring myself to hack up a sword no matter how cheap hheheh i'm just too cheap ;) i just carry the empty scabbard and no one has said the difference to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version